Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Conficker Worm Discussion (esp. 1 April, 2009)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 60 Minutes Conficker worm report. Symantec uses Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Another way to word this would be. Linux has the eyes of the world looking at it from a QA standpoint, and can deliver security patches on so many fronts much faster than Microsoft can, as the primary providers of such vulnerability fixes on Windows are Microsoft, and Microsoft only.

I protest that any "real" damage would require sudo. If you store data on your system at all, you store it in your $HOME directory. You don't need sudo to destroy that... In the end, your OS is free and replaceable. Your data is never so easy to replace.

actually, i installed ubuntu using wubi, so that in case i screw up doing something, not all will be lost. this being said, i store everything on the windows partition and have all my defaults set to there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Conficker Worm Discussion (esp. 1 April, 2009)

Yeah, I'm wondering what happened on 4th of January as well?

I suspect they actually mean 1st of April though

1/4/2009

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There was, once upon a time the dooms day millenium bug that was to bring the whole world to a stand still. I remember watching TV that night. Seeing the rockets shoot into the sky of Sidney, I was so disappointed that night... No crashing buildings. no chaos. Now I have a child and am in another place. But am secretly hoping that this Microsoft hoax maybe might come true...which off course unfortunately would make it 'my problem' too. but really I think it is a MS way of blowing companies using cracked free versions of their software wide open...I just hope my (so far non-bailed-out-bank) is paying their Excel Spreadshits...no wait...
    Vevmedia - Montreal - Canada
    vevmedia.net/blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    You should be making regular backups of your data.

But in any case, erasing people's personal files isn't very lucrative, and most malware these days isn't created for the "Ah-ha! Gotcha" thrill. Most malware now is for financial profit.

You can bet one of the reasons malware thrives in Windows is that it's tied to system files and so difficult to remove. If malware lived only in the user space, you could delete it as easily as deleting a user account and creating a new one.
    If we are taking into account all disaster recovery measures are in place, then who cares really what OS it is, or what the security model is. Backups are backups. This whole stance would be moot if you are going to facture that in. Anti-virus and malware is preventative maintenance to avoid using backups, regardless of the realm of attack, backups themselves are a completely different scope. With or without these preventative tools, if you don't have backups, you're playing with fire, so thats not the scenario I wanted to pitch because I felt it was pretty much assumed.

Also, it completely depends on how you would classify your personal data, whether or not you think its lucrative to exploit. Just because its in user space doesn't mean its not very critical.. I've seen it a thousand times. When it comes down to the destruction of an operating system, people don't care about that box anymore, all they care about is what was on it. They don't care if its a new box, or a new OS, as long as the data was not compromised. Without good backups, you probably just lost your job, with good backups, it doesn't make your loss of data any less critical whether its in user space or system space if its been classified as critical. My point was, if someone wanted to be malicious, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to take their system down, or exploit an OS security hole. There is a lot of damage to be done in the user space with data saved in home directories that malware would love to crawl over, or flat out corrupt or delete. Don't think that just because in most cases linux OSes can't be exploited as easily as Windows ones, that there is not plenty of havoc that can be wreaked. I think one reason we don't see many of these incidents on linux is that typically linux users have a higher awareness level of their system, but if that paradigm changes, I believe you will see this exploited much more. Your browsing history, installed app configurations, and perhaps things like your financial data and tax info are all in your $HOME. You're ships not sinking, but its a pretty pointless ship now that everything on it is gone. /bad_analogy
    Last edited by toupeiro; March 31st, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 4/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    People get sick of the updates forcing automatic reboots so they turn them off and never think of them again.
    And also remember there are plenty of people running dodgy copies of Windows who don't go anywhere near a patch or anything else ( some estimates I've come across say this could be as high as 30% of Windows users). MS won't allow them to update security, so these #*$% users can keep on infecting everyone elses machine. Don't quite get the MS take on this issue, since surely the credit they would gain by having a secure system that people could have faith in would more than offset the loss of $$$ they cop from people pirating the software.
    People who never make mistakes are people who never make anything
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit,wisdom is knowing you don't put tomato in fruit salad
    New to Ubuntu? Check out this pocket guide and why not go Full Circle or take Command

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fredunderhill View Post
    actually, i installed ubuntu using wubi, so that in case i screw up doing something, not all will be lost. this being said, i store everything on the windows partition and have all my defaults set to there.
    Thats a smart config as long as you keep windows patched and backed up Of course, if something happens to your filesystem (like a nasty BSOD), and you're wubi install is on that partition, bye bye wubi and windows.
    Last edited by toupeiro; March 31st, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Talking Damage Estimate on the confiker worm

how many computers do you think will go down day after tomorrow? I'm thinking a couple thousand, nothing that will make a dent in the M$ market share.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I just saw a piece on the news about this. But what I found interesting was, and I quote,
    ...Mac and Linux are not affected.
    Did I hear that right? Linux got mentioned in the news!
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Re: Damage Estimate on the confiker worm

Conficker/downadup has infected over 9,000,000 Windows-running computers.

Beans

Re: Damage Estimate on the confiker worm

This should be fun to watch. I think it's another 01/01/2000. All show, and no go. Maybe a scam to increase Norton's bank account
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast