Thread: Problem with Windows XP permissions/linking...

Beans

Problem with Windows XP permissions/linking...

Hi! I'm going to apologize in advance because I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology (which probably explains why I can't do a proper search for a similar thread)... but...

When I originally installed Ubuntu on my computer, I had Windows XP installed on a separate partition on the hard drive. I decided to allow the Ubuntu setting which links or gives permissions for certain files (i.e. My Documents) to Ubuntu.

A week or so later, I decided to install Vista (for curiousity's sake). After doing that, I started running into issues with restarting Ubuntu after Hibernating or Suspending it. Certain things weren't working correctly...

I was wondering if it was possible to remove those links or permissions (sorry.. I'm not sure what exactly they're called) to XP from Ubuntu. I like to primarily use Ubuntu, but I need XP for certain other sites since I didn't enjoy my experience of attempting to get certain windows programs to work through Wine (i.e. I can't watch The Office on Ubuntu...). Can anyone help me or point me in the correct direction for finding help for this?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Problem with Windows XP permissions/linking...

Quote Originally Posted by karmyk View Post
    Hi! I'm going to apologize in advance because I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology (which probably explains why I can't do a proper search for a similar thread)... but...

When I originally installed Ubuntu on my computer, I had Windows XP installed on a separate partition on the hard drive. I decided to allow the Ubuntu setting which links or gives permissions for certain files (i.e. My Documents) to Ubuntu.

A week or so later, I decided to install Vista (for curiousity's sake). After doing that, I started running into issues with restarting Ubuntu after Hibernating or Suspending it. Certain things weren't working correctly...

I was wondering if it was possible to remove those links or permissions (sorry.. I'm not sure what exactly they're called) to XP from Ubuntu. I like to primarily use Ubuntu, but I need XP for certain other sites since I didn't enjoy my experience of attempting to get certain windows programs to work through Wine (i.e. I can't watch The Office on Ubuntu...). Can anyone help me or point me in the correct direction for finding help for this?

Thank you!
    I'm not quite getting what you're refering to. Are you mounting your XP partition in Ubuntu to access files?

BTW - Try Hulu if you want to watch The Office in Ubuntu: http://www.hulu.com/the-office

Beans

Re: Problem with Windows XP permissions/linking...

I kind of figured I'd have a tough time explaining my problem.. I'm not too keen with tech lingo.

When I installed Ubuntu, Windows XP was originally on the primary partition of the machine. I installed Ubuntu onto a completely different partition on my hard drive.

During the installation, I chose the option to import settings from my Windows XP profile.

A few days later, just for kicks, I decided to upgrade Windows XP to Windows Vista, just to give Vista a chance (curiousity got the better of me... while Vista isn't horrible, though, it truly does use up too many resources on my computer). This is still on the separate partition that XP was originally on.

I don't know if the upgrade affected Ubuntu at all, but I've been noticing some major errors when I turn on the computer and go into Ubuntu after having put Ubuntu into "hibernate" mode. For example, when Ubuntu starts back up, I get a strange-looking logon screen with my Windows XP username/icon setup. Second, the sound stops working for video on my computer.

Do you think this had anything to do with importing my old XP settings? Or is something else wrong with my Ubuntu install? Whenever I do a fresh startup of Ubuntu, none of these errors happen. Is there a way to get rid of the imported Windows XP settings?