Thread: BIOS beeping six times?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

BIOS beeping six times?

My old Dell computer is being very strange. The hard drive recently failed. Now it is replaced. But now, I get it beeping at me 6 times. Nothing is on the screen, so I'm assuming it's the BIOS complaining about something.. but what is it complaining about? It's definitely not the hard drive because I unplugged it and it still beeped. I pulled out all of the USB things and it still beeped. What is wrong?
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans

Re: BIOS beeping six times?

Quote Originally Posted by miggols99 View Post
    My old Dell computer is being very strange. The hard drive recently failed. Now it is replaced. But now, I get it beeping at me 6 times. Nothing is on the screen, so I'm assuming it's the BIOS complaining about something.. but what is it complaining about? It's definitely not the hard drive because I unplugged it and it still beeped. I pulled out all of the USB things and it still beeped. What is wrong?
    if you know what modle moterboard you have, then you can get the manual from the manufactures website, which will normaly have a list of "Beep codes"
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Perhaps you may have unseated a stick of memory, or the processor might be dying. It could be a number of different things, all depends on the how many times it beeps, and how the beeps sound.

Beans

BIOS beep codes are usually not good-and what they mean is completely dependent on who makes the mainboard and who wrote the BIOS.

For example my Biostar board with American Megatrends BIOS, 6 beeps means

During POST:
    Keyboard contrller BAT failed.

My mainboard docs also tell me that if I get 6 or 7 beeps during POST-that it is a fatal serious problem with my hardware-and to contact the system manufacturer...as a last ditch attempt to not write off a mainboard, try removing extra add-in cards.

Again, this is my mainboard, and BIOS though-and all manufacturers have different beep codes. Get thee to Google, with BIOS maker and board manufacturer in hand.

or-

If you have a manual for you mainboard, it should tell you the beep codes right there.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Try removing all additional hardware for example any PCI cards, hard drives etc and see if the problem persists. Do this one at a time and if it stops beeping after removing a certain piece of hardware then it will give us more information as to what is broken.

I know you've ruled this out in your case but just a little off topic here My Motherboard MSI K9 Neo V3 beeps for every USB device plugged in according to them it's "a feature"...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

BIOS beeping can be any number of things, but the beeps mean specific things, so if you knew the beep code, it would be easy to solve

Anyhow, I'd go through all the componants and try each and every one by reseating it/reconnecting it, and powering on again. Start with the graphics card (if you have one), move to the RAM (reseat it), check that the CPU fans are running, check for dust and all sorts of stuff. If you have any unnecessary PCI cards, take them out.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Gah, I read the title as "BIOS keeping six times" and I had a true wtf-moment for a while; "your BIOS is keeping six different times? How's that even possible?!"

Personal note: must learn to read slower

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

we need to know who makes the motherboard and what kind of BIOS it has.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com