Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall Ubuntu & Install Vista

Beans

Uninstall Ubuntu & Install Vista

I ordered this computer from Dell and it has Ubuntu as the OS.
    I do not use Linux, and do not know anything about Linux and Ubuntu.
    You can not use things like ITunes, Limewire without doing a lot of things.

I bought and downloaded Windows Vista.
    I want to install Vista and uninstall Ubuntu.

How do you do that.
    Please tell an easy way to do it, because I do not know anything about Ubuntu.

I do not know which Ubuntu that is on the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Uninstall Ubuntu & Install Vista

Well If you have the Vista istall disc then it is fairly simple. Put the disc into the computer and reboot it. It should boot from the cd, and if it dose not you might have to press F8 (differs from comp to comp) then chose your dvd drive. Vista is load some files and when you get the screen asking where you want to install you just delet all the partions (uninstalling ubuntu) and make a big one for Vista. It will take an hour or two to install but it should be self explainitory from there
    Registered Linux user #489078 Ubuntu user #27106
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives." William Wallace
    Blog! www.vrekk.us

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You say that you downloaded Vista. Has it been burned to a cd?

If so, then all you should need to do is to put the disc in the cd drive and reboot the computer. Then follow the instructions. (This is all it takes if the computer is set to boot from the cd before the hard disk in the BIOS [this is a very low level operating system that comes with most/all computers: basic input output system].)

If that doesn't work, then you need to change the boot order. Restart your computer and watch for something like:

Press F5 to edit BIOS
    or

Press F5 to enter Setup.
    Do that and then use the arrow keys to move through the different options and look for "boot order." BIOSes vary, so can't say exactly how to change the order once you get there. Try moving your cursor over the first entry in the boot order. Press enter and a list should show up. Move down to "CD," or similar, and press enter. This is the way mine works.

I hope that helps.

Beans

Thank you.

I am not good with Ubuntu, it would be a good OS if I knew a lot about how to use it.

I have Vista on my computer, and this is my moms computer. She is not good on computers, so she needs something easy to use, and she knows a little about windows.
    Haha.

I have not burned the files, but I ordered Vista from Microsoft, and it had 3 files to download, and one is still downloading.

The files are
    install.wim
    install.wim.part
    boot.wim

I should just download the files the way I downloaded them to the CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You OK with making a CD from your download?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    You OK with making a CD from your download?

I can make a CD, but would the CD be big enough to have the 3 files on the CD?

I just do not know if I should try to open one of the files, or just put them on the CD how they are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Don't you DARE install Vista.

If you want iTunes, use Banshee.
    Lime wire is available for Ubuntu, but use FrostWire. it's better.

Pretty much, if there's a program you need. There will be either a Linux version of it, or an equal or better alternative, just look around.

DON'T YOU DARE INSTALL VISTA!!
    Toshiba Satellite A200 (PSA-F3A) - 1GB RAM - 2x 1.73 Ghz processor - 160GB hard drive - Realtek HD ALC268 sound card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by happinesskills View Post
    Don't you DARE install Vista.

If you want iTunes, use Banshee.
    Lime wire is available for Ubuntu, but use FrostWire. it's better.

Pretty much, if there's a program you need. There will be either a Linux version of it, or an equal or better alternative, just look around.

DON'T YOU DARE INSTALL VISTA!!
    Haha.
    My mom can not use Ubuntu.
    She calls me a lot to just get her e-mail to do something.
    Her e-mail is not getting mail on the Evolution Mail that is on the computer.

I did download Limewire on the computer, and Banshee, but do not know what to do with Banshee.

But just to install Banshee, there were a lot of things to do. It is not like windows. You just download, and run the install and use the program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

At the risk of being called a heretic, Ubuntu is not best for the casual PC user over 60. But Linux Mint is. It has everything you need already set up. Thunderbird for email, firefox, flash player, codecs, etc.

Anyhow, if you want to pay the piper, and install Vista, then who are we to say no?

Check out what you do with WIm files:
    http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0702.htm

NOT for the faint-of-heart! You will need to get those files via a DVD/thumbdrive onto another windows PC to do anything with them using MS's own tools.

You really are best loading any operating system from CD/DVD unless you know what you are doing.

...insert inane witticism here...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by combatwombat_nz View Post
    At the risk of being called a heretic, Ubuntu is not best for the casual PC user over 60. But Linux Mint is. It has everything you need already set up. Thunderbird for email, firefox, flash player, codecs, etc.

Anyhow, if you want to pay the piper, and install Vista, then who are we to say no?

Check out what you do with WIm files:
    http://www.minasi.com/newsletters/nws0702.htm

NOT for the faint-of-heart! You will need to get those files via a DVD/thumbdrive onto another windows PC to do anything with them using MS's own tools.

You really are best loading any operating system from CD/DVD unless you know what you are doing.
    Ok, I do not know what all that means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast