Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why so expensive?

Beans

Re: Why so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by former_warper View Post
    Ha, ha. Remember poor lil ol' whatshername, who had to drop out of school because she bought a Linux Dell? How on earth could she do that uninentionally but almost no one else can on purpose?
    Don't remind me! I had the "rolling eyes" syndrome for a week after hearing that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know there is little profit in low-end machines but I do wish they offered something more along the lines with a $400-500 laptop. We just word process and surf the internet with our computers so it is very difficult to justify such high end hardware even if the price is excellent in hardware comparison. I am stuck buying low end computers and installing ubuntu myself where things sometimes (stupid internal mic) just will not work...even if overall it works better than a windows machine.

Beans

When I made the comment about the low end machines, I didn't mean that people shouldn't buy "low end" machines, just that I was happy to get the better ones from sys76.

It is hard for a relatively small company to offer the variety of (mostly crappy) choices like Dell does. Dell and others may have occasional discounts to get rid of old inventory, however, sys76 custom builds everything so they have nothing to clean.

Variety is good, just sometimes not feasible.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mxboy15u View Post
    I know there is little profit in low-end machines but I do wish they offered something more along the lines with a $400-500 laptop. We just word process and surf the internet with our computers so it is very difficult to justify such high end hardware even if the price is excellent in hardware comparison. I am stuck buying low end computers and installing ubuntu myself where things sometimes (stupid internal mic) just will not work...even if overall it works better than a windows machine.
    It sounds like 76 is just a few weeks away from releasing a netbook, it might be just the ticket.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    It sounds like 76 is just a few weeks away from releasing a netbook, it might be just the ticket.

jdb
    Excellent news! We are in the market for another netbook and will wait to see what they offer.

Beans

I just want to comment that the mere fact that system76 machines work with fresh installations of Ubuntu makes them worth the price. Windows is a hassle to find drivers for.

I'm not sure I consider my DARU3 Darter Ultra worth the price, because I've had graphics problems with it from day 1. As have many others. ^.^; Here's a thread somebody started about it: LINK

It's a very shiny machine, though. I can't fault the build quality, which is better than any notebook I've owned -- including an IBM Thinkpad. Only the drivers.
    Last edited by Murrquan; April 18th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
    3 apps that make Ubuntu more like a Mac
    How to make Ubuntu look and feel like Mac OS X

Tarutaru icon (c) 2001-2004 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It is a little premature to fault the Darter on it's performance under Jaunty.

Jaunty testing is still in process.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234