Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Janitor too enthusiastic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Computer Janitor too enthusiastic

I just ran the Computer Janitor utility in System-Administration, and it uninstalled a package I had previously installed (pulseaudio-mixer-applet). Should it do that? Does it uninstall packages that didn't come from one of the listed repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Computer Janitor too enthusiastic

Did you notice the checkboxes to the left of each package? If you uncheck one, it will leave it alone. It also remembers what's unchecked the next time you use it.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro

ahh, I see. That could be really confusing for users. Is there a way of preventing that kind of behavior, such as having certain classifications of packages be unchecked by default? I can just imagine that users are going to install their own packages, like Skype, and then run Computer Janitor and have it removed. From my Windows days, I remember running something like SpyBot and not bothering to read the list of all the crap it's found, just hitting the delete button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

This seems like it should be a bug. It wanted to uninstall Truecrypt for me. It seems to want to uninstall anything that is not in the repositories. IMO it should make an exception for programs installed from a .deb file instead of with apt.
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rockin_goliath View Post
    ... not bothering to read the list of all the crap it's found, just hitting the delete button.
    Well, if you're not going to bother reading before hitting Delete... That's hardly a bug.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    Well, if you're not going to bother reading before hitting Delete... That's hardly a bug.
    I wouldn't consider a bug, but when the average user wants to run this tool to get rid of excessive programs and sees a bunch of "libx" files, he or she would probably not have an idea of what they were doing and accidentaly could delete some important files.
    Gateway MX6426, AMD64 2.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MBATI Radeon Xpress, Windows XP & Ubuntu Karmic Koala
    Linux User #488323
    Half the fun of Linux is learning how to use it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by trot2millah View Post
    ...when the average user...would probably not have an idea of what they were doing and accidentaly could delete some important files.
    What you are expecting is called 'dumbing down'. The average user must learn to use these apps. It's not rocket science.

If you click on an item in Computer Janitor, a brief explanation appears at the bottom so you know what that package is.

The alternative is to not use Computer Janitor. You don't have to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

what computer janitor does is make your system LIKE A FRESHLY INSTALLED ONE

which means, any and ALL packages that were not installed by default, get deleted.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    What you are expecting is called 'dumbing down'. The average user must learn to use these apps. It's not rocket science.
    Still, the compare it to XP (blech) there are system utils which separate different things into Network Tools, Temp Files, Software etc, there could be something comparable to this in Ubuntu.

If you click on an item in Computer Janitor, a brief explanation appears at the bottom so you know what that package is.

The alternative is to not use Computer Janitor. You don't have to.
    When the user sees an option to get rid of clutter, they might not necessarily use their brains and just click the "Cleanup" button and expect to have it work.

I'm not talking about "dumbing it down," and you could assume the average user would attempt to explore and clean up unnecessary space. It wouldn't be too hard to sort different software options into whether or not other packages have dependencies relating to that software etc. I'm no expert, but it's just one area that rockin_goliath has revealed there could be improvements.
    Gateway MX6426, AMD64 2.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MBATI Radeon Xpress, Windows XP & Ubuntu Karmic Koala
    Linux User #488323
    Half the fun of Linux is learning how to use it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    what computer janitor does is make your system LIKE A FRESHLY INSTALLED ONE

which means, any and ALL packages that were not installed by default, get deleted.
    and your post explains why i had problem with this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...19#post6973019 too bad that there is no option to delete own topic if no replys.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac
    Distroshare - New remastersys alternative

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast