Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just landed in ubuntu

Beans

just landed in ubuntu

wow . . this is really good for free software . .feels really cosy

Install on a Dell Inspiron 6400

till now no errors what so ever, all the drivers were either detected or were downloaded afterwards ( broadcom wifi, nvdia 7300, etc)

even the front panel buttons work . . wow

3 issues

1) The grub shows 2 entries for ubuntu along with Xp
    2) Was looking for an alternate browser other than fire fox (dont getme wrong . . i love firefox . . but was looking for a light weight browser also)
    3) My m3u playlist created on xp arent working in ubuntu ( after mounting the drive ) . . i think this is a path name issue . . . any suggestions how to fix this . . ? ? ( pleasae point me to the right thread . . i dont wanna double post)

Big hug to Canonical . . . keep up the good work . . .

also any suggestions on how to get started on learning the command line for ubuntu ? ?

Thanks all

ubuntu rocks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: just landed in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ash_pro View Post
    wow . . this is really good for free software . .feels really cosy

Install on a Dell Inspiron 6400

till now no errors what so ever, all the drivers were either detected or were downloaded afterwards ( broadcom wifi, nvdia 7300, etc)

even the front panel buttons work . . wow

3 issues

1) The grub shows 2 entries for ubuntu along with Xp
    2) Was looking for an alternate browser other than fire fox (dont getme wrong . . i love firefox . . but was looking for a light weight browser also)
    3) My m3u playlist created on xp arent working in ubuntu ( after mounting the drive ) . . i think this is a path name issue . . . any suggestions how to fix this . . ? ? ( pleasae point me to the right thread . . i dont wanna double post)

Big hug to Canonical . . . keep up the good work . . .

also any suggestions on how to get started on learning the command line for ubuntu ? ?

Thanks all

ubuntu rocks
    1) Probably a recovery option
    2) Opera, Epiphany
    3) Amarok or Songbird?
    Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz/ 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM/ nVidia 9600GT 512MB/ Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    That fuzzy feeling in your head is your brain working, thanks to Linux!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the Ubuntu forums - well ok, the second.

The two copies of ubuntu are probably the normal version and a "recovery" mode. You probably want to keep both available for use. You can set up grub to automatically boot the normal mode and have a delay which gives you time to select the recovery mode if necessary. It's also possible you have two ubuntu kernels installed (the original one from your initial install and an update).

Grub has a lot of configuration options, including whether or not you see the menu, for how long, which kernel to boot, etc. I recommend using StartUp-Manager, a gui editing tool for grub's menu.lst
    I've written a guide that tells how to install StartUp-Manager and explains the various options. The link is in my signature line.
    Last edited by drs305; March 28th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1.) There should be 2 Ubuntu entries. One boots to multi-user mode (your desktop) and the second one is Recovery mode, which boots to Single User mode (into the root account).

2.) My suggestions on lightweight browsers will not fascinate you, so I'll not mention any!

3.) I would say that it is a path issue too. Just edit the file and change the paths, as that should correct the problem.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Smile Re: just landed in ubuntu

thanks guys . . . thanks for replying

wow the community is oozing so much love . . .

i wish i would have switchied earlier . . . (actully i still am using xp . . but maan it feels good to be free from vista . . . )

regarding the entries in grub . .
    actually there are 4 ubuntu entries 2 normal and 2 recoveries
    they seem to be exact copy of eah other and then finally there is xp

the media player im using is rythembox player

the m3u playlist file has filename as follows

one example

E:\Mp3s\stuff i listen\Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me.mp3

what part of this should i edit to make the file playable ?

thanks again . . .

Beans
    Distro

w

ubuntu rocks
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

helped me get started with the cmd line.

Beans
    Distro

the easiest way would be, open up a nautilus (*File Explorer) window, navigate to your music. The address bar up top will then give you your new path. After that I would suggest you use gedit (*notepad) to find and replace your paths.

Welcome to Ubuntu. Oh and you remove Micrsut installation and run XP through virtualBox or if that is not even all needed, run selected WinSoftware through. Wine, But now I am jumping ahead here maybe. Welcome to the ooze!
    Vevmedia - Montreal - Canada
    vevmedia.net/blog

Beans

edit the first part of the location. Linux does not work with c:\, e:\ etc. It uses / slashes instead of \ backslashes. You can find your partitions / drives in /media/.

A site for commandline learning: look here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

regarding the entries in grub . .
    actually there are 4 ubuntu entries 2 normal and 2 recoveries
    they seem to be exact copy of eah other and then finally there is
    If they are separate kernels everything would look about the same except for the kernel number (for instance e.g. 2.6.27-9 and 2.6.27-11). If the numbers differ, the one with the higher ending number is the newer one and should be set as the default. Most people keep one older kernel to use should they develop a problem with the newer one. The link I supplied earlier discusses your options with older kernels as they accumulate.

If the entries are indeed identical, including the words at the end of the kernel line, you can safely remove one each of the normal and recovery entries. Just make sure the kernel numbers and UUIDs (the long alpha-numeric entries) are the same.

If you have questions about it you can post the menu.lst here by typing in terminal:
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Copy the results here, placing it between [ code ] [ /code ] delimiters. You can insert them into the post by hitting the # symbol at the top of the post. (In the example I had to add extra spaces.)
    Last edited by drs305; March 28th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the media player im using is rythembox player

the m3u playlist file has filename as follows

one example

E:\Mp3s\stuff i listen\Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me.mp3

what part of this should i edit to make the file playable ?

thanks again . . .
    You can open up the playlist with the text editor and do a find and replace to replace "E:\" with the path the partition is mounted at. You can use the "mount" command in the terminal to get a list of where everything is mounted. You'll also have to replace all the back slashes with forward slashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast