Thread: HOWTO: Customized desktop locking in Xfce

Beans

HOWTO: Customized desktop locking in Xfce

In this howto I tell how you can set which utility is used for locking desktop in Xfce that is the desktop environment used in Xubuntu. You can launch the lock by <Crtl><Alt><Del> in Xubuntu, by default. The keyboard shortcut runs a Bourne shell script named xflock4. It is located at /usr/bin/. You can make a customized version and save it to /usr/local/bin/xflock4. That will be used instead of the default one, since /usr/local/bin/ directory is searched before /usr/bin/ for commands. (That is set in PATH environment variable.)

Here is the customized xflock4 I wrote:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

case "$DESKTOP_LOCK_UTILITY" in
        xscreensaver )
    	if xscreensaver-command -lock 2>/dev/null; then
    	  exit 0
            fi
        ;;   
        gnome-screensaver )
    	if gnome-screensaver-command --lock 2>/dev/null; then
    	  exit 0
            fi
        ;;
        xtrlock )
    	# xtrlock leaves desktop visible
            if test -n "`which xtrlock 2>/dev/null`"; then
    	  xtrlock &
              exit 0
            fi
       ;;

esac

# Try xlock by default and if nothing else works
    if test -n "`which xlock 2>/dev/null`"; then
      xlock -mode blank $* &
      exit 0
    fi

exit 1
    You can save it as /usr/local/bin/xflock4 and make it executable by command
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/xflock4
    in terminal.

You can choose the preferred locking utility by setting an environment variable named DESKTOP_LOCK_UTILITY. The current options are xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, xtrlock and xlock. Of course, you have to install the utility of your preference before you use it. In case your preference is xscreensaver or gnome-screensaver, you have to start a respective screensaver daemon in xinitrc. (There are instructions for that in another howto that I authored. I link it here once I know its url; the howto has to be accepted by moderators first.) UPDATE: See here for a hint on how to edit xinitrc script.

xtrlock is a special kind of desktop locking utility that does not hide screen. Once you have installed it, I recommend reading its short manual by
    Code:
    man xtrlock
    in terminal.
    NOTE 2009-04-01: I found that xtrlock does not work always, so you may consider not using it for now.

Here it is told how to use environment variables in Ubuntu distributions.
    Last edited by jis; April 1st, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Customized desktop locking in Xfce

Hi jis

Thanks for the Howto, how to use it if I'm logged in Xserver as user root?
    Xscreensaver daemon refuses to work with root, so no locking is possible.

Beans

Are you sure xscreensaver daemon is running then? It is not started in Xfce's xinitrc, if you run it as root. I don't know why. You could make a customized xinitrc in which you remove string "$UID -gt 0 -a" in the if test around screensaver daemon startup to try to start xscreensaver anyway. Why do you log in Xserver as root?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello jis, sorry for the long delay

No, the daemon does not run in X with root logged in and it refuses to start/restart in the Xscreensaver GUI.

I'll try the code modification you suggested. About beeing logged in as root: I no longer use sudo privileges, so it sometimes comes in handy to use the root account for configuration purposes (mostly to rule out permission problems)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lampi View Post
    Hello jis, sorry for the long delay

No, the daemon does not run in X with root logged in and it refuses to start/restart in the Xscreensaver GUI.

I'll try the code modification you suggested. About beeing logged in as root: I no longer use sudo privileges, so it sometimes comes in handy to use the root account for configuration purposes (mostly to rule out permission problems)
    Hello Lampi. I guess Xscreensaver is not meant to work when you are logged in as root, so the modification in xinitrc will not work. You can use e.g. xlock then; just install xlockmore package.