Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spreading the word of Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Spreading the word of Linux

Often people at school will come up and ask me about my laptop, which runs Ubuntu.

I'm getting a bit sick of having to explain every time.
    Is there a leaflet or something I can print out to help explain to people what I'm using, and distribute with my Ubuntu distro (It's identical to base, but with ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, and accesibility removed).

Beans

Re: Spreading the word of Linux

Why not just say "It's Linux."? Most people will have their curiousity satisfied by that.

If you want to spread the OS you can just direct the interested guys to the ubuntu webpage and forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by blazemore View Post
    I'm getting a bit sick of having to explain every time.
    Keep going! They're far better off talking to you than reading a leaflet. Person-to-person is the best way of dispelling people's misconceptions about linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I actually recommend Linux Mint to most people, since I feel it offers the best OOTB experience to new users.

The main, and only real issue is the restricted codecs. If Flash, Java and mp3 don't work, who's going to want to use it? We live in the real world, not a theoretical universe based around Free Software principles.

Beans

But they do work. If you're worried your friends will give up before trying to install them then just give them a text file or something with instructions on how to do basic stuff in their new environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just simply say "It's Linux." and link them to the Ubuntu site so they can learn about what you're using. If I were you, I would probably recommend Mint to them though, it's better for new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
    Just simply say "It's Linux." and link them to the Ubuntu site so they can learn about what you're using. If I were you, I would probably recommend Mint to them though, it's better for new users.
    I already do. I think Ubuntu could learn a lot from Mint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think that Ubuntu does not have the restricted extras by default for two reasons:

1. Some people only want to use open source and do not want to touch anything proprietary
    2. There is some legal mumbo-jumbo nonsense behind this as well
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The only thing Ubuntu can learn fomr Mint is making a better looking splash screen

Otherwise, it comes down to legality.

simply put Automatically including DVD, MP3, and other codec supports is not very legal in places like the US. Here you need to technically pay for them. for instance the Dell version of Ubuntu includes these things but its because they pay the license fees for the user (well the consumer really pays i the end).

Mint's inclusion of these codecs, is actually quite illegal in the US, sure it give simplicity to the user, but at the cost that at anytime some company that owns the patent to any of the preinstalled codecs could really ruin Mint's developer(s) by issuing cease and disist orders or even sue for damages, and the way these cases often go, Mint would cese to exist and its people out of work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post

Mint's inclusion of these codecs, is actually quite illegal in the US, sure it give simplicity to the user, but at the cost that at anytime some company that owns the patent to any of the preinstalled codecs could really ruin Mint's developer(s) by issuing cease and disist orders or even sue for damages, and the way these cases often go, Mint would cese to exist and its people out of work.
    Is someone working on open source codecs to do away with this problem?
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast