Thread: My Laptop Fan is Driving me Mad!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry My Laptop Fan is Driving me Mad!

Recently, my laptop's fan has been making a grinding noise. I've tried checking the fan for obstructions, and even disassembling my laptop to see if I could find anything that was causing the noise. I haven't been able to find anything, and it's beginning to drive me insane.

Anybody got any troubleshooting tips? Or should I just contact the manufacturer?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My Laptop Fan is Driving me Mad!

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    Recently, my laptop's fan has been making a grinding noise. I've tried checking the fan for obstructions, and even disassembling my laptop to see if I could find anything that was causing the noise. I haven't been able to find anything, and it's beginning to drive me insane.

Anybody got any troubleshooting tips? Or should I just contact the manufacturer?
    Sounds like the bearings if there's nothing in the way of the blades.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post

This really belongs in the hardware forum.

Since you've already taken the plunge of pulling the machine apart, you could check if the fan's bearing is field-serviceable. It should have a rubber plug, a sticker, or a piece of tape that you can remove to oil the bearing with a tiny bit of sewing oil. Don't overdo it though. A little often goes a long way.

Worst case scenario, the bearing is too far gone for lubing to help or is not field-serviceable. Either would require you to replace the fan leaving you no worse off than you are now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    since you've already taken the plunge of pulling the machine apart, you could check if the fan's bearing is field-serviceable. It should have a rubber plug, a sticker, or a piece of tape that you can remove to oil the bearing with a tiny bit of sewing oil. Don't overdo it though. A little often goes a long way.

Worst case scenario, the bearing is too far gone for lubing to help or is not field-serviceable. Either would require you to replace the fan leaving you no worse off than you are now.
    +1