Thread: Which laptop?

Beans

Question Which laptop?

I know, I know, everybody asks this. However, I have just four key features, and maybe there is someone reading this who could give me some advice.

Here is what I need:

• OOTB Ubuntu support
    • Weight under 1.5 kg (no netbooks, though; I can't properly type on netbooks, they are too small)
    • Price: < 1500 EUR
    • battery running time: > 3h (preferably more)

I found that the Lenovo X300 is almost perfect, with many additional features that suit me. However, looks like this model has a problem with the fan which keeps turning on and is very loud.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    j.

Beans

Re: Which laptop?

No netbooks? No suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The only thing that is going to weigh that little is a netbook or a macbook air. I'd recommend an HP mini. Some of them have near full-sized keyboards.

Beans

Gee that's light. That will be difficult if you don't want a netbook. A few you might want to look at:

Dell XPS M1330 (1.8 kg)
    Dell Mini 12 (1.22 kg)
    Some 12"'s from HP
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

I think I found my thing actually. It is a tad more expensive, but you can get it for roughly 1600 EUR. X301, Thinkpad. Same as X300, but the fan is not an issue any more.

I considered Macbook Air despite the price, but the battery lifetime is not encouraging -- and for long flights / sessions / conferences you can't just bring another battery pack with you.

j.