Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avoid halt command by ssh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: avoid halt command by ssh

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    No you aren't using a server kernel, you kernel is compiles for xeon support. I'm not really sure if you would gain anything by going with a server kernel for your version. After Dapper, it looks like xeon support is compiled into the kernel so you may want to update to a newer version.

Jim
    Thanks for answering this one Jim, I missed it.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by islanddancer View Post
    Thank you very much for your response!

so is this
    Linux 2.6.15-27-amd64-xeon #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 8 18:09:00 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

a server kernel?

Thank you once again!
    You have 64bit Desktop edition.

Your kernal has not been updated since December 2006.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    You have 64bit Desktop edition.

Your kernal has not been updated since December 2006.
    I thought at least it is a workstation...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Sorry but you are blatantly wrong.
    So by your reasoning, just installing the server kernel on a desktop system magically turns it into an Ubuntu Server Edition™? Fair enough, but I disagree. Actually, I think Ubuntu Server Edition, just like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. is just a marketing term and is totally nonsensical in practice. I only know Ubuntu.

Oh, and by the way, your suggestion of looking at /etc/issue was blatantly wrong too. Last I checked, it doesn't print the kernel version.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    So by your reasoning, just installing the server kernel on a desktop system magically turns it into an Ubuntu Server Edition™? Fair enough, but I disagree. Actually, I think Ubuntu Server Edition, just like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. is just a marketing term and is totally nonsensical in practice. I only know Ubuntu.

Oh, and by the way, your suggestion of looking at /etc/issue was blatantly wrong too. Last I checked, it doesn't print the kernel version.
    I don't get kernel info in /etc/issue either.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by islanddancer View Post
    I don't get kernel info in /etc/issue either.
    The command to get your kernel version is uname -r. As you saw, you're not running the server kernel. To install it, do

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-server
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's not MY reasoning. It's Canonical's, which I think as a member of the forum staff, you should have been aware of. If you bothered to read the entire server section of the Ubuuntu web site, you would see that the server edition is far from just another kernel plopped on top of a desktop distro. This is not in ANY way my thought, it is pure information from the website of the creators of this Linux distribution.

Not quite. The uname command was the first response to his question, and /etc/issue gives additional information as to the installed version. I wouldn't call that blatant, but rather an attempt to discredit me for pointing out YOUR blatant error. Of course, this isn't helping anyone here at all. If you are trying to bully me because you are forum staff, I'm not biting. Posting your opinion that the server edition is no different from the desktop edition as if it was fact (more credible because you are a staff member) misleads people who are new to this distro, or who may not be aware of what the server version entails. I'm not so sure Canonical would agree with your assessment. At best, if your opinion is correct, it is also misleading as there are definite advantages to running the server version over the desktop version if you are running a production server, otherwise why would they even go to the trouble to offer it?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12