Thread: Ubuntu 8.10 on Toshiba R10-10W

Beans

Smile Ubuntu 8.10 on Toshiba R10-10W

Hi everyone!

I just delivered my new notebook Toshiba Tecra R10-10W. It was pre-installed with Vista, but I would like to use Ubuntu and XP.
    I made 5 partitions (1 ntfs xp, 2 - test maybe later on Mac OS, 3 extended, 5 - ext3 ubuntu, 6 fat32 data).
    For the first look the system semms to be ok.
    I was using Ubuntu quite a time, but all the time there was something wat was not working 100% for me, but now I decided to install all the stuff for it - in between maybe learn linux a bit. Wright now I an using GNOME but also some KDE applications (like K3b, Ktorrent).

What is working:
    Bluetooth, network, wifi, sound, SD card reader, ... and maybe a lot of thing what I did not recognize/mentioned here

What is not working - hardware stuff:
    Suspend and hibernate - after suspend the monitor did not came back
    Fingerprint reader - AES1600 on usb
    I seted up the backlight for my screen to 80% but afre log in it comes with 100% and than goes back to 80%
    I checked 'dim dislpay when idle' - it is working but sometimes - I do nothing - and is it blinking back to normal backlight

What is not working - software stuff:
    Confirm file operation in Gnome
    Delete in gnome - if I delete in gnome it goes without notification into trash (press del button) - configrm_trash in gnome-editor is checked
    move - if I accidently move a folder to an another it is moved without notification (it is happening sometimes with tachpad)
    Sound in Skype - is says the sound device is used by another program/process (ver. from skype page .deb version 8.04+)

Interesting behavior
    There is a switch (on/off) on the side of notebook to turn on wireless genaral - there is a switch on keyboard to turn on (fn + f8 ) - it is only on when I turn on both - how sould it work? I miss the point why shoud I turn on something 2 times?

Not tested yet
    Webcam, external monitor, e-sata, 3g

Thanks for Your advices,
    Laci

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu 9.04 on Toshiba R10-10W

I moved to Ubuntu 9.04
    (The behavior of the notebook is similar to r600)

What is working:
    Bluetooth, network, wifi, sound, SD card reader, webcam
    Skype - need to unistalled pulse audio

3g - need to recompile the kernel - working only if it is switched on at boot up time
    (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...74/+viewstatus)

What is not working:
    Suspend and hibernate - problem with the screen - after suspend did not come back
    Fingerprint reader - AES1600 on usb
    external monitor

Not tested yet
    e-sata

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 on Toshiba R10-10W

Hi,
    finally with toshset 1.75 the 3g is working

toshset -3g on

wright now I need only a nice gui
    (toshset-gui is nice but till now did not support 3g)

bye