Thread: port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

Just got hooked up with time warner. I also use their VOIP service..for some reason when I hooked up to their modem it unstealthed port 113 (although its marked as closed) any one know why? is it because of the voip? or is it something to do with cable internet service. any idea how to re-stealth it?

Beans

Re: port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

http://forums.wi-fiplanet.com/showthread.php?t=2676

Why do you want it "stealthed"? Rejecting an incoming connection instead of ignoring it doesn't really create a security risk. If it is your ISP's modem (or your ISP) that wants to reject connections on that port, you probably can't do anything about it. If it is your router, then there is probably an option in it's configuration.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    No reason really! just it used to be stealthed when I had dsl but now it isnt with cable....just wondering why is all
    I pretty much decided to leave it be

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

"Stealth" sounds cool , but it is probably no more secure then "Closed", although the topic is at times hotly debated.

I suggest you take a look at "proper syntax" for the linux firewall, iptables and learn the difference between DROP and REJECT

DROP = "stealth"
    REJECT = "closed"

Once you understand the terminology you should be able to decide for yourself.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: port 113 no longer stealthed, shows as "closed" with cable internet

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    "Stealth" sounds cool , but it is probably no more secure then "Closed", although the topic is at times hotly debated.

I suggest you take a look at "proper syntax" for the linux firewall, iptables and learn the difference between DROP and REJECT

DROP = "stealth"
    REJECT = "closed"

Once you understand the terminology you should be able to decide for yourself.
    seems one is just as good as the other heh?
    thanks for all the help though...seems like I have some reading to do