Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better: Firefox profiles (two instances running) or Firefox + Epiphany?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which is better: Firefox profiles (two instances running) or Firefox + Epiphany?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Argh, it really grinds my gears when people pass Epiphany off as "lacking many features." It doesn't lack any features. It's a web browser, and it isn't Firefox. (And if we're going to compare features, try opening a file in Firefox that the browser itself doesn't understand. Epiphany actually integrates with FreeDesktop specifications, so doing that is a nice, smooth process).

For what it's worth, you can run epiphany-browser -p to get a sort of temporary session alongside the existing one.
    Actually, I didn't have any issues with Epiphany (well... I could have used a few add-ons), and it seemed to move a teeny bit faster than Firefox, but then, there's the add-ons I have running in the latter.

Some people have said in other forums that Epiphany is sluggish, though. Care to comment on that?

Beans

Re: Which is better: Firefox profiles (two instances running) or Firefox + Epiphany?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Argh, it really grinds my gears when people pass Epiphany off as "lacking many features." It doesn't lack any features. It's a web browser, and it isn't Firefox. (And if we're going to compare features, try opening a file in Firefox that the browser itself doesn't understand. Epiphany actually integrates with FreeDesktop specifications, so doing that is a nice, smooth process).

For what it's worth, you can run epiphany-browser -p to get a sort of temporary session alongside the existing one.
    If a web browser doesn't support simple stuff such as cookies, then I will pass it off as lacking features (epiphany webkit doesn't have cookie support as of the 2.24 release). The reason I don't use the gecko version is because it is slower compared to Firefox when it comes to loading pages.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    If a web browser doesn't support simple stuff such as cookies, then I will pass it off as lacking features (epiphany webkit doesn't have cookie support as of the 2.24 release). The reason I don't use the gecko version is because it is slower compared to Firefox when it comes to loading pages.
    That's why the supported version as of now is the gecko version
    Webkit is coming in 2.28, probably.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

if you want to run two profiles at once this might help
    http://weblogs.java.net/blog/felipea...x_profile.html

an other solution is to create another user (mine is called failfox), and then run
    Code:
    ssh -X failfox@localhost firefox
    i have flash installed in failfox's ~/.mozilla/plugins as 99% of the time its nicer to browse the web without flash.

i use ssh rather than su as i could not be bothered to trace the DISPLAY problem, and i already have openssh-server installed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12