Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NetBeans or Eclipse, or text editor for java

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: NetBeans or Eclipse, or text editor for java

Garratt,

I've got a copy of notepad++ on the desktop for when I boot into windows (which is about twice a month for the moment).

A number of people say great things about eclipse... but as I was "brought up" with netbeans I've kinda stuck with it!

I know what you are saying about Vi, it drives me to distraction, and in fact I tend to use Gedit, as I find repeatedly bashing my head against the wall is detrimental to my productivity... and I get strange stares from my colleagues!

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro

A quick update for anyone following this thread.

So I've tried working with eclipse for a few weeks, and I sort of like it. However I have that age old problem of when you switch from something you are used to to something else (ie going from windows to linux or one gnome to kde) you find that you are suddenly slow in getting certain things done.

Another issue that I haven't been quickly able to solve, and I must admit haven't really tried to, is working on existing netbeans projects in eclipse. I'm sure that there is a plugin out there for doing this, but I have just continued working in with netbeans for existing projects and in eclipse for new ones.... I've even had issues simple copy / pasting the relevant class files (they don't seem to appear as part of the eclipse project for some reason? <shrugs>), so I'm obviously missing something!

So other things I've have been playing with....

I've also been playing around with php of late, some things I've been asked to do are a bit quicker in php, and the results are more easily seen in the web browser, so it's nice and visual which is pleasing.

Again for php I've been using gedit, with the side panel, I find this really great for small projects (or even what are becoming quite large projects!) in php.

All in all, my overall preference has now reverted back to netbeans (again mainly as it is what I have become accustomed too), but I now have a working knowledge of eclipse (admitedly on a limited working knowledge, but I can find my way around.... sort of ), so probably not a bad thing.

I've also descovered some of the other netbeans plugins, such as for creating UML type diagrams of stuff.

However I also found Dia (it is in the repositories), which I really like for this, and I have been using this extensively for creation of the basic structure. What I really like is the ability to export the diagram as a set of basic class files, which I can then cut and paste the information into netbeans (as some of the formating, such as the comments and structure of the files isn't exactly as I like!), also I have notes that automatically appear for the different file types in netbeans pre set, which I am sure I can do in Dia, but haven't yet found out how to.

Well appologies again for a long post.

I'll keep posting as I find other things that I like, but I suspect that this will probably be the end of it for me.

Basically, I'm going to stick with netbeans for my personal projects, and then if I move on somewhere and I need to work on other people project in the eclipse environment then at least I'll not have that horrid learning curve to get to know it, as I've allready done it now.

maybee this thread has been interesting reading / usefull to other users, in which case I'm pleased that my questions and feedback has been more than just good for me.

So its happy < Ubuntuing > to one and all, see you all at the next bug jam.... or maybe a strawberry jam, or just simple perl jam (music or coding!).

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro

Another quick update for anyone following this thread.

I've recently started a new job, and I decided to eclipse another try on a clean system. So hopefully no netbeans incompatibility issues sneaking in.

And now I've been using it in real anger for numerous stuff I really like eclipse.

Particularly I like how when doing GUI design it doesn't lock out the generated code, i like to add extra comments into the file so as I can be sure that I know what the code is up to. and the manner in which netbeans closes editing on the gui-designer generated code is not nice, also the code created in eclipse is much more pleasant to read after the fact.

If you look back to the initial part of this thread, my main gripe was that netbeans seemed so slow. Well now I'm using eclipse on the same machine I think my problem is that my development laptop is rather old and slow.

At some point I intend to set up a more powerful pc as a server, so maybe I'll run the eclipse executable from there (not sure that this will make much difference), or maybe I should invest in a new dual chip mobile phone (yes my laptop is so old the new mobile phones have more processing power, and in some cases more internal memory too).

david
    Eee pc via Wubi install.

My Launchpad page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12