Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hundredpushups.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hundredpushups.com

I need to start exercising and I came across this site a couple days ago. I figured maybe someone else here would be interested in it.

http://hundredpushups.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: hundredpushups.com

Doing a hundred reps of any exercise in a row would mainly increase your stamina, not your strength, which in the case of muscles involved in push-ups is pretty useless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been doing 20 pushups and about 10 chinups. But, I just started like a week ago.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Netsu View Post
    Doing a hundred reps of any exercise in a row would mainly increase your stamina, not your strength, which in the case of muscles involved in push-ups is pretty useless.
    I'm not doing this to get stronger just as one of several things to become healthier.

Pushups are great for stamina. If you want to build up your muscles then weight lifting may be more suited.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Eating healthy is good for you aswell.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
    I'm not doing this to get stronger just as one of several things to become healthier.
    Remember not to replace jogging with such exercises, it's the cornerstone of any get-healthy/fit program

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Netsu View Post
    it would increase strength (to a limit) and would increase strength-endurance. doing them fast would add a little bit of speed strength. also, the plank position in the pushup would be beneficial to any muscles used in support of that position. the danger of doing one exercise like that, though, over a long period of time, is in creating a muscle imbalance. people who do too much bench pressing can end up with rotator cuff impingement syndrome if they don't balance it out with a pull movement.

to the op: if you mix in some kind of pull movement (chin ups, some kind of rowing, etc), you would balance out the pushups. if you throw in hill sprints, too, you'll pretty much be hitting everything.

Beans

It's funny that I've just decided to reach this very goal. I did 75 once, now I can probably do 50-60. I guess that if I excercise daily and increase it by one every time, I'll get to the target in a month or two.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
    I need to start exercising and I came across this site a couple days ago. I figured maybe someone else here would be interested in it.

http://hundredpushups.com
    Been doing it for a couple of weeks now and seem to have plateaued after the third endurance test! Hoping it's just a blip and that I will be able to get to 100 in one go.
    Matthew
    Current Xubuntu machine (old, quite slow, and past its 10th birthday, yet still surprisingly functional): Celeron 633 MHz | 320 MB RAM | Xubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro

Good Diet and exercise is the best way (we've all heard it just about everywhere we go these days).

Just remember to mix in anerobic with aerobic activity. If you do only weightlifting, with now cario (like running/jogging/long walking), you can raise your blood pressure and such. You need both to become healthier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast