Thread: Very weird situation! (Related to windows xp encryption)

Beans

Angry Very weird situation! (Related to windows xp encryption)

I've scoured the Internet and have found and used several tools and methods to attempt to achieve my goal here... but have failed at every turn. From what I can tell from the sticky posts this is the appropriate forum (I'm not really sure). If not, please let me know.

OK! Here's the low-down on what's happened so far.

I have a Compaq laptop. Said laptop has the whole hard drive partitioned as NTFS with Windows XP Pro as the native OS.

I used Wubi to install Ubuntu. I managed to get the Broadcom card working with drivers in ndiswrapper. Once this had finished, it prompted me to download 262 updates with the little icon on the menu bar. I clicked it and it started updating. I went back to surfing on Firefox.

A few minutes later the computer locked up. I could move the mouse but could not click anything, keyboard had no control either.

I hard restarted the computer (held power button in for 5 sec).

Upon turning the machine back on, Ubuntu could not load up because Windows had the partition locked up (something about Kernel Panic... I can look it up if more details are required).

Windows can not log in either, it just continuously reboots, goes to the XP splash screen with the progress bar... and then restarts. I went into the options and told it not to reboot on system failures and found that it was popping an 0xC0000005 error.

I booted with the Ubuntu Live CD. Ubuntu could not mount the drive.

Windows Recovery Console won't let you use Extended ASCII chars (which are in my Administrator PW) so I used the Offline NT Password Reset boot disc to clear it.

I ran Windows Recovery Console, which finished saying "complete" and that it had repaired some errors... although windows still won't boot up.

Still couldn't get Windows to load up, but Ubuntu live CD can now mount the drive. (Ubuntu Wubi install is still throwing the Kernel Panic error at this point).

I looked up the 0xC0000005 error and found that it can be caused by the software execution protection setting in boot.ini... so I went and fiddled with that through the Ubuntu live cd to no avail.

***** Here is the main issue *****

I have files under another Windows username that are encrypted with Windows EFS encryption and can no longer access them.

I have:

* Access to The files (encrypted) via Ubuntu boot disc.
    * The Username and Password that were used to encrypt them.
    * Win XP CD
    * Ubuntu CD
    * Several other boot disc tools that I've used to attempt to restore this...

I don't have:

* The Key (Certificate)
    * Ability to actually log into windows in order to tell windows to decrypt them.

Is there any Linux tool that can help me either decrypt the files or force windows to boot up so I can log in?

I have another windows machine that I can use if anyone knows a tool/process that can achieve this.
    Last edited by Greyhaven7; March 24th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.