Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What made Ubuntu so popular?

Beans

Re: What made Ubuntu so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Since I cannot speak for "ALL PEOPLE" and refuse to lump them into a single category.
    Simple test: Did you enjoy having to read a manual to learn how to program your VCR clock?

I know all manner of people-and NONE ever enjoyed having to read a manual to figure out how to program their VCR clock....although I knew and know MANY persons (including myself), who figured out ways of setting the VCR clock without having to RTFM. RTFM=research.

I have better things to do with my life, than battle a digital clock on a VCR. That is the attitude most folks have with computers.

That is what it boils down to. That is why 70% or so of computer users still use Internet Explorer. They don't know or care about security or speed or what have you. It came with the machine. It works (in their eyes). It is "good enough". That is the attitude people have. It is the appliance attitude.

Most people are not hobbyists at computers who want to know more. Most just want something that works, with minimal hassle, and effort required on their part. And by "minimal effort", that includes expansion of knowledge on their part. They don't WANT to have to learn an entire new way of using a computer. They might-if they can be shown a good reason.
    Last edited by Skripka; March 27th, 2009 at 05:07 AM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Skripka
    I have better things to do with my life, than battle a digital clock on a VCR. That is the attitude most folks have with computers.
    Should this be true than I will truly suggest they never endeavor to change their operating system. To any other operating system.

Simple test: Did you enjoy having to read a manual to learn how to program your VCR clock?
    It didn't bother me, actually the only time I did it (due to power failure) was to tape a show from the TV. So apparently, I'm not part of the refuse to read the manual group. I chose to do so and enjoy that which I paid for. Even my wife can set the clock on our VCR and one might consider her technically challenged.

It works (in their eyes). It is "good enough".
    Most people are not hobbyists at computers who want to know more. Most just want something that works, with minimal hassle, and effort required on their part. And by "minimal effort", that includes expansion of knowledge on their part. They don't WANT to have to learn an entire new way of using a computer. They might-if they can be shown a good reason.
    If this is the group you referring to, I would reiterate that it's not in their best interest to change their OS (ever). How can they be shown a good reason, if they don't care and it's good enough?

If the group your defining is complacent and has no desire to learn, then this argument is pointless. IMHO not only should they remain in their existing environment, any attempt to modify it would result in their frustration. I doubt any OS can be installed, setup and used without some fundamental learning and/or reading of documentation. The group your referring to (assuming it exists and is substantial in volume) learned Windows, yet according to you, they have no desire or motivation to learn anything else. Changing the appearance or any other aspect of an OS will not overcome complacency. If it's good enough then why bother?
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    It's possible that my experiences are unique and that the majority of users keep the original appearance. I can only evaluate that which I'm aware of.
    All the Ubuntu installs I've ever seen around me except my little brother's (and mine back when I used Ubuntu) use the default theme, at most with a different wallpaper.

I think most people really don't care that much about what their OS looks like as long as it's not downright ugly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456