Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: {Solved}Displays completely messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation {Solved}Displays completely messed up

Help! I have dual monitors set up with the fglrx drivers. I just got a 1gb RAM stick, put it in and turned my computer on. When it turned on, the loading screen was good on both monitors; however when it got to my main desktop screen, my left monitor said "PC Settings Correct?" as if the resolution or the refresh rate was too much for it. Along with that, my right screen's resolution had changed dramatically and was really screwed up. Please help. I need both screens working.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Displays completely messed up

Would it help to reinstall the fglrx drivers possibly?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Okay, I got the dual monitors working again; however, now the left screen's resolution is really tiny and it's difficult to even read anything on it. Is there any way to change the resolution of just the one screen? While I'm at it, the refresh rate seems to be off as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Go into Catalyst and move the screens around. It's probably set up as "Big desktop right of Display 2" or something like that in the display manager of the Catalyst control center. Try messing with the settings for a bit, then hit Control Alt Backspace after you applied the wrong display settings. Log back in, go back into Catalyst, configure the settings the way you want again, then see if its still messed up. Reinstalling the drivers will not help as Ubuntu never forgets anything.

You can change the resolution of that one screen by hand if you want by going into Catalyst > Display Manager. You should see 1 and 2. One is red and the other should be black or white, I forget. Click on the number of the display you would like to change the resolution on, then if you look down a bit right under the 2 numbers, you should see "Display Size" or something like that.

Cheers!

P.S. Post sooner on my visitor messages next time. You don't need to be this patient hahaha.
    Last edited by Neo_The_User; March 24th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    You can change the resolution of that one screen by hand if you want by going into Catalyst > Display Manager. You should see 1 and 2. One is red and the other should be black or white, I forget. Click on the number of the display you would like to change the resolution on, then if you look down a bit right under the 2 numbers, you should see "Display Size" or something like that.
    In the Display Manager, I am unable to change anything. I know that the reason for the screen not being able to display it is because of the screen itself. When I plug in the other monitor to its head, it works fine. I'm not quite sure how it did it before.

Beans
    Distro

what do you mean plug the monitor into its head, and it not being able to display due to the screen itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Okay, I have two different monitors because I don't have have the money or need to just buy two new ones. One is newer than the other. The newer one must not be able to handle a big resolution. If I disable dual monitors settings and adjust that display individually, I can set it to a lower one and it works fine. The dual monitor setting sets the resolutions to ones that the one monitor cannot handle.

Beans
    Distro

Ahhh! 2 different resolutions at the same time. My dad did it a long time ago reading the man pages or something for aticonfig. He combined like 6 strings of the aticonfig commands and rebooted, worked fine.

Example:
    Code:
    man aticonfig (then read all the stuff)
    sudo aticonfig --output --left-of-display-VGA --initial -f --force -yes --then-you-just--keep --mixing --it-up -until --you-have -it -set--up -the-way--you -want

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Actually, I don't even need it to be separate resolutions. I just need them both to be at (1280 X 1024). Instead, when I have the desktop stretched, they're at the biggest resolution possible. Something like (1600 X 1200) probably.

Beans
    Distro

well for independant displays, man aticonfig

for big desktop:

catalyst > display manager > the 2nd tab > click the screen 1 > big desktop left of display 2.

That way its like [1] [2] instead of vice versa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast