Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banning planning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Banning planning.

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    Some people react poorly when backed into a corner and probably would prove they are not a troll if given the opportunity. But if you **** someone off (like by deleting their posts, then banning them when you refuse to accept their complaint - In private!) of course that will make the situation worse
    No, azz, people react poorly period. Personal Attacks , use of excessive language, improper references to illegal behavior. That outright isnt someone trying to do or say good. That outright is someone taking advantage of the situation. And that happens. But limiting behavior of an already uncontrollable user, is only going to make that user even more uncontrollable. And likely the situation even worse.

I think the rules get changed dynamically, so you can't really say that. If you are referring to the "one-issue, one-complainer only" rule, that is always subjective, isn't it? The plaintiff will always see the problem as being something different than what the forum staff sees, no?
    Subjective, perhaps. That has been there since the resolution center was started. I too , made a mistake posting in a persons resolution thread, only I didnt do it 4 times in a row or repeatedly.

Beans

Azz the rules for the Resolution Centre are not covert. They are there for all to see.

If someone refuses to comply with rules then the sanctions (stated in the rules) are then applied. As in any part of the community we live in.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    No, azz, people react poorly period. Personal Attacks , use of excessive language, improper references to illegal behavior. That outright isnt someone trying to do or say good. That outright is someone taking advantage of the situation. And that happens. But limiting behavior of an already uncontrollable user, is only going to make that user even more uncontrollable. And likely the situation even worse.
    I'll let someone else answer that. I've made my point - That's exactly the closed-minded outrageous attitude that has no place in a "resolution center".

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    Subjective, perhaps. That has been there since the resolution center was started. I too , made a mistake posting in a persons resolution thread, only I didnt do it 4 times in a row or repeatedly.
    I posted the same post *six* times in row, the other day. The forums were wonky (I knew things were not as usual since the resolution center rules were not being displayed as usual, at the time). Since my post kept vanishing, I assumed it was another forum bug. I assumed that if someone was deleting the post, they would post a message to the thread to explain, or make some other courtesy.

I felt I was involved in the situation enough to post to the topic. I was certain there were other threads where others had less of a presence in the situation and had joined it.

When I was (rudely) informed of the situation, I noticed the resolution center rules had changed. I still reported the bugs I noticed to ubuntu-geek via the private message thread.

Any issue I have with the resolution center rules will be addressed in a thread there. I have not done so yet because I think that will just stir up **** instead of being productive. The resolution center is an important part of the forums. A lot of issues got settled because of it.

My aim was for this thread to be a productive one. It stemmed from the unproductive events that happened when poptones got banned.

Rules Before:
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...client=firefox

Rules After:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

diff -b 1 2
    18d17
    < 6. Repeated offenders of #3 will receive a PM from a forum administrator warning them if they are in violation. If repeated attempts are made to distrupt progress being made the offender in question will receive a 2 day temporary ban. If still an issue the forum account maybe be revoked at anytime.
    21,22d19
    <

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I must say that an all-out ban does nothing to facilitate resolving a problem. If I were banned, I would at least want to be able to access a resolution center and PM's so that I have the chance to resolve the problem and return as a member of these awesome forums When a member is banned, do they still have access to the resolution center and their PM's?
    Last edited by ardchoille; January 29th, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

Beans

We do not take the decision to ban someone lightly. Generally we have been through many attempts to resolve and discuss with the user. The staff also consult and discuss often at length before implementing a ban.
    In the majority of cases the banned member has refused to follow our rules etc and has advised that they do not intend to.

There is the few occassion when an urgent ban is applied due to extreme circumstances.

Perm bans are rare we prefer to temp ban first,but alas that is not always successful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Any issue I have with the resolution center rules will be addressed in a thread there. I have not done so yet because I think that will just stir up **** instead of being productive. The resolution center is an important part of the forums. A lot of issues got settled because of it.
    And raising these issues here is Productive? How? and why? And if not productive, then.......

you should address them there, rather than here. Ive yet to see any issue that you addressed there that has not be resovled cleanly and coherently. It seems premature to try to address problems that require a resolution in a discussion area. Rather than an actual Resolution area where you are trying to get a problem fixed. You do see this as a problem, Azz? yes?

If you do see it as a problem, something that requires resolution, then your posting in the wrong forum, mon ami.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    We do not take the decision to ban someone lightly. Generally we have been through many attempts to resolve and discuss with the user. The staff also consult and discuss often at length before implementing a ban.
    Having been a former moderator myself (wasn't Azz, too, at one point?), I can attest to this. In fact, I was a little more insistent on banning than most of the rest of the staff. If someone gets banned, there's something clearly wrong (and repeated offenses) the user has done. It's not the staff being trigger-happy with banning.

Beans

As I understand the resoultion center is for when you think that you have been wronged in some way correct?

Ubuntuforums Site Discussion is the correct place to talk abour forum rules as long as it is done in a constructive way?
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

When I was a board administrator elsewhere some years back, to bann someone required a quorum of at least three people two of who had to be moderators and one of whom had to be an administrator.

Case in point: we had a user persistently posting threads on how to best achieve suicide, somewhat more serious than name calling or suggesting that <name of operating system> is <insert derogatory remark>, they got banned the same night.

IMO the forums move so fast that a rude post on page one made at 9am will be on page 5 by 5pm.

I guess this isn't that moot to the Resolution Center, but I thought I would chuck in my two cents anyway.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Beans

I dont think we need to go over this again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12