Thread: command-line vlc and processes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

command-line vlc and processes

So I'm trying to get myself into the habit of using the command line, and am taking it to quite silly lengths. I was wondering - it's easy enough to get music playing without the vlc interface (cvlc), but how do you pause it or change the volume etc while it's playing?

(or is general impracticality precisely why they invented GUIs?)

Also, most programs are easily run from the command line, but unless I start suspending and restarting them, it doesn't seem possible to use the same shell do run multiple programs. But that doesn't sound right - isn't the whole system pretty much just a shell with pretty things stuck on top? And it's running dozens of processes...

*confused*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: command-line vlc and processes

If you want documentation for VLC from a command-line then
    Code:
    man vlc
    But take my advice and just use the GUI
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

When using cvlc you can type "help" (w/o quotes) to get a list of supported commands.

i know you can pause, and you can probably change volume.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yes, using VLC from the command line is ridiculous. Debian Package of the Day lists a new Debian package every day (and it's very often a console-based package), so you might want to check that out. Ubuntu Geek also has some good console-based packages.
    Last edited by AndrewTheArt; March 24th, 2009 at 12:42 AM.
    USE GOOGLE. It's your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're not desparate to use vlc, try moc (music on console). It's a good console based music player.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install moc
    Check the man page for details.
    Code:
    man moc
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redandgreen View Post
    Also, most programs are easily run from the command line, but unless I start suspending and restarting them, it doesn't seem possible to use the same shell do run multiple programs.
    Use & to run a program in the background, for example, try
    Code:
    nautilus &
    - the window will appear, but the terminal will return to the propmt, so you can keep using it

Beans

Vlc actually has a rather nice ncurses interface.

Code:
    vlc --extraintf ncurses
    Thats command line enough surely

I used to use that so I could use my ds (running ds linux) as a remote control when watching movies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hmmm, maybe I'll stop being such a purist thanks everyone!

Beans

I know this is an old thread but that doesn't mean folks don't access it currently so I want to rant.
    I so don't like the way posters in forums stray from the original question. The OP wants to use cvlc, the command line version of vlc, and why shouldn't he? It's available and meant to be used by anyone. Suggesting he use your favorite music player instead of answering his question, is, at best, sub-optimal. I use a Raspberry Pi, headless, to stream audio from the internet using cvlc so, of course, your private solution won't help me. What will help is a direct answer. Millions of people, just within the last year, have purchased a Pi or two and are experimenting with Linux for the first time in their lives. The Pi runs Ubuntu or a version of it. Many will come to this forum to find answers to questions that are, to them, mysterious and difficult for them to get answers to. They should be encouraged to explorer the command line because of the massive power it gives over a GUI and should be given as much help as possible from the 'nix community. Real help, not alternate solutions for which they are not searching.</rant>

nohup cvlc --volume 50 http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/mpbc/ppr/mainec24.pls 0<&- &>/dev/null

will start an audio stream from the command line and give you back the command prompt. It will continue to play even if you log out. If you happen to be in a console, or, as in my case, in an ssh session to a remote headless box, you can run alsamixer to control your sound card volume before you log out or after you log back in.

The nohup prefix tells cvlc to ignore the hang-up signal it gets when you log out. 0<&- closes the STDIN file descriptor and &>/dev/null redirects STDOUT and STDERR to null. The final ampersand runs the whole process in the background. All four of these terms are required to properly daemonize a command so that you can log out and walk away while the daemon continues to run.

The volume can be any number you are comfortable with. Experiment.

I so hope that redandgreen was not discouraged from experimenting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.