Thread: ATI (Catalyst) and Wine (World of Warcraft)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ATI (Catalyst) and Wine (World of Warcraft)

Hi, my desktop system is currently running Windows Vista and recently I upgraded my video card to an ATI Radeon 4870.

I have recently been interested in trying out Ubuntu again and I wonder how well ATI videocards and their drivers perform with Wine. I am specifically wanting to play World of Warcraft via Wine.

I have an older laptop with a ATI Mobility videocard and I remember all sorts of problems and tweaks necessary to get WoW running. I wonder if the situation has changed lately? (admittedly it is probably about a year ago I tried on my laptop).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ATI (Catalyst) and Wine (World of Warcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by krendar View Post
    Hi, my desktop system is currently running Windows Vista and recently I upgraded my video card to an ATI Radeon 4870.

I have recently been interested in trying out Ubuntu again and I wonder how well ATI videocards and their drivers perform with Wine. I am specifically wanting to play World of Warcraft via Wine.

I have an older laptop with a ATI Mobility videocard and I remember all sorts of problems and tweaks necessary to get WoW running. I wonder if the situation has changed lately? (admittedly it is probably about a year ago I tried on my laptop).
    Very little has changed, ati cards are still poorly supported by ati and are a large source of complaint from users. To get the best experience you need to go nvidia.

Beans

Re: ATI (Catalyst) and Wine (World of Warcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by krendar View Post

Well I have that card and have got it MOSTLY working(though took some doing). What issues I have are:

-sounds are sporadic(shouldn't be ATI related though . Either Wine or sound card issue more like it)
    -Item pictures(and buffs/debuffs) have funny habit of changing randomly. Ie image for copper coins is chainmail tunic etc. No biggie but does mean you have to check NAME of item when you are selling to avoid selling wrong stuff.
    -Big one: Dungeons, cities, houses. Everywhere small map top of corner goes white. Bang! I can see quests etc but rest is white. No problem in city, can get annoying in cramped tunnels.
    -Need to switch off death glow. Without that it goes haywire. Just a minor issue and of course hopefully you'll be spending very little time as dead so you don't have to see this issue anyway

Apart from those issues it works just fine for me. Not sure how FPS is affected. I have bit of a overkill machine so it works just fine.