Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other recommended distros?

Beans

Other recommended distros?

I want to immerse myself in all things Linux, and that means not limiting myself to Ubuntu, as awesome and Windows destroying as it is.

Ive heard good things about Mandriva but I cant seem to find a live CD .iso download link.

The things Id be looking for in a distro would be...

Availability of a Live CD
    Good multimedia support (ie mp3, divx, xvid)
    Good for the internet
    General ease of use (vague I know)
    Easy installation of a USB DSL modem (from Ive heard USB modems and Linux dont mix!)
    Consists of purely open source software

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Registered Linux user number 448030
    Ubuntu User number 13932
    11.6" MacBook Air / 1.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 64GB SSD / 4GB RAM / Mac OSX Lion / Kubuntu Linux

Beans

Re: Other recommended distros?

By your criteria, I'd say SimplyMEPIS.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I can't think of many distros I like that have a live cd, but if you go to distowatch.com they always seem to have a heap of live distros.

My personal favourites, in no particular order, are Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, and Slackware.

Try Mepis, that comes as a live cd, just as long as you don't mind using KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Mepis seconded, that so perfectly fits your criteria.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought of other distros till I looked into them and found that you need to download 10 cd's of stuff. You might want to try Debian as it has a small download footprint compatered to the others but Ubuntu's 1 cd beats them all.

I was going to download Fedora but found out it is a 2 DVD download.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

umm...doesn't Sarge have like 20CDs?

If you wanted to try something like Debian you'd be better off getting the minimal network install ISO or boot floppies, and installing via FTP.

Beans

A major consideration for me has always been to select a distro-flavor of Linux that can be easily upgraded, one that offers a means of adding or removing programs with careful consideration of all dependencies... in short... anything based upon Debian Linux.

Apt-get is to Linux as bread is to humanity. Debian's apt-get is our very sustenance. Be assured, Ubuntu is certainly Debian-based! There are certainly others; Libranet, Knoppix, Mepis, Aplinux, Morphix, Xandros, Linex, Gibraltar, Linuxin, Stonegate..... the list goes on. You could just as easily grab the REAL THING. Debian Sarge!

Ubuntu is the friendliest Debian based distro I have experienced yet! It's community is "down home". Feel free to look around, but then y'all come back here!
    One world
    One family of humankind
    Ubuntu

Beans

Enough with all this Linux lark, real men use AmigaOs 2.0 on an A500 with 2MB RAM! Why the hell do you need 512MB for!!???

Well maybe if you wanna play Monkey Island with only 300 disk swaps...

Registered Linux user number 448030
    Ubuntu User number 13932
    11.6" MacBook Air / 1.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 64GB SSD / 4GB RAM / Mac OSX Lion / Kubuntu Linux

Beans

Ah... the Amiga!

It brings back happy memories for me when I thought I was really something to have upgraded my ZX81 to a full complement of 16KB of RAM. (Slober, slober). Oh and I was ever so careful to make every byte count when I'd write my own assembly language programs. Economy of resources! Love that Z80 processor! I could read all 20 words of my full screen text from across the room.

Then came along the C64! Was I strutting then. With careful use of irqs I could actually write sound and graphics into my programs. Imagine that. Concurrent sound and graphics whilst the program executed its code!

Then came Amiga! I couldn't afford one, but I loved the television commercial that IBM used to launch one of their blazing PCs. It was a beautifully designed commercial with flying sprites and humming birds and such. At the very end of the commercial, in very, very tiny type was a credit given to the creator machine of these television graphics..... an Amiga! Amiga was King! IBM used an Amiga to sell their wares!

But that was 17 years ago.

Happy New Year 2006!
    Happy New Technology!
    Happy Ubuntu!
    One world
    One family of humankind
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan753
    umm...doesn't Sarge have like 20CDs?
    Can anyone confirm this?