Thread: Twin View questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Twin View questions

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to have my desktop extend over two screens. Currently, it is cloned on both screens.

I typed gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added all the lines starting with "Option". All of the help examples I saw showed a BUS ID which I couldn't see in my xorg.conf file.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "TwinView" "True"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option "UseEdidFreqs" "True"
    Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "string" #replace 'string' with either 'DFP' (Digital flat panel connected via DVI port), 'CRT' (any monitor that is connected via VGA ports), or 'TV'
    EndSection
    Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Twin View questions

If you are running an Nvidia or ATI card I would recommend installing Envy (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html). This will help install the best/latest driver for your video card and also installs the Nvidia X Server Settings GUI interface in your System/Administration.

If that doesn't do everything you need the section of my xorg.conf that I use beautifully with 2 Dell 20" LCDs side by side looks like:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce GTX 260"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "TwinView" "1"
    Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1680x1050 +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks Yerknutz.
    I installed Envy, and not much appeared to happen after I ran it to update the drivers.
    I tried changing the xorg.conf file, but managed to mess it up so now when my computer boots I get a crazy unreadable screen. I saved the part of xorg file as backup that I changed, but how do I navigate into the file to change it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Before I started using Envy and Nvidia X Server Settings interface and I messed up my xorg.conf I would boot to the Ubuntu live cd and then use terminal to sudo gedit my xorg.conf.

When you had Envy installed did you use Nvidia X Server settings or try to edit your xorg.conf manually? Once I had that installed I have had to manually edit xorg.conf anymore. I make all my settings changes in the NVidia GUI.

Beans

use System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager to install nvidia-settings
    you get a command line by starting Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal
    you get admin privileges by starting a program gksu for gnome programs so type:
    gksu nvidia-settings
    when the nvidia gui interface is running, click X Server Display Configuration.
    click Configure...
    click the TwinView radio button
    click OK
    set up anything you want
    click Save to X Configuration File
    click Quit

i update to the latest nvidia proprietary prereleases for 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10 and nvidia 9600GT, 180.41 currently, from www.avenard.org (third party software source "deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos release/")using System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager. i am not sure which programs are needed so i install all six provided:
    nvidia-180-libvdpau
    nvidia-180-libvdpau-dev
    nvidia-180-modaliases
    nvidia-180-kernel-source
    nvidia-glx-180
    nvidia-glx-180-dev
    for a fresh install, you might also want or need:
    jockey-common
    jockey-gtk or jockey-kde
    nvidia-settings
    nvidia-xconfig