Thread: login to blank screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

login to blank screen

hello-

i recently updated my nvidia drivers (i know, asking for trouble) anyway... whenever I log in i'm greeted with a blank lcd on my laptop. Everything works fine until I login. If I press Ctrl+Alt+F1, the screen comes on and appears. I can hear all the login sounds and such; it just seems that my laptop monitor doesn't "switch on" until i press ctrl+alt+F1 after login. Generally, I can live with having to do this, but if anyone knows of where to look to fix it i'd appreciate it. thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: login to blank screen

I see this is an old post, but did you ever get an answer? I have a similar problem. I have an HP laptop with the NVidia drivers loaded. I have four user accounts (me, my wife and the kids). I noticed that when my wife logged in, she got a message saying that she could use the restricted driver, so I set that up (thought it was odd, but whatever...). Now when she logs in or when I log in, we get a black screen, but you can hear the login sounds. If I use fn+external screen, I get my display back.

The other weird thing is that this doesn't happen when my kids login, only my wife and I.

I have a workaround, as I said, but it is annoying. Does anyone have an idea of how I can resolve this?

I have tried reconfiguring xserver, but it didn't help.

Thanks.