Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: More fans!

Beans

Re: More fans!

Quote Originally Posted by sethmahoney
    Oh, hey, can anyone recommend where to look and what to look for in an inexpensive, reliable, and quiet power supply?

Also, ignoring cases made out of fans for the moment (cool as they are - heh, unintentional pun), any recommendations for a good not-too-flashy-but-not-beige-either case that fits a lot of drives (without melting any of them - sometimes my drives get HOT, and then the CD/DVD drives seem to want to stop working) into which I could plop all my current hardware (which includes one of those no-longer-fancy front-mounted card reader/USB port dealeys, a CD-RW, DVD, and 3 hard drives) with room to spare? I don't have the motherboard specs in front of me right now, but the case I currently have is something in a mid-tower such-and-such.
    Are you buying locally or online?
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Are you buying locally or online?
    Either works.

Beans

Depending on your budget look for a mid rang to high end power supply. Do not go cheap on it or you may be sorry in the long run. Some brands to consider are:

Athena
    Enermax
    OCZ
    Thermaltake
    Coolermaster
    Asus

Another rule of thumb is if it cost below $50 it is probally a piece of crap.

Cases you can be a little more thrifty on and still get a great solid case. Try to buy a name brand case like one from Codgen (Codgen Group, CG). Look around and see if you can find a good deal on a high end case like Asus, Coolermaster or Thermaltake. You may be surprised what you can find for a bargain.

I got my Thermaltake Saprano case for $120 with a 430 watt Thermaltake power supply included. I did have to buy a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter to run it on my 24 pin MOBO but hey I am not complaining.
    Last edited by mstlyevil; January 4th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had excellent luck with Antec power supplies, too... They are fairly quiet, acceptably so.... Especially their silent and near-silent ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I've had excellent luck with Antec power supplies, too... They are fairly quiet, acceptably so.... Especially their silent and near-silent ones.
    I forgot about Antec

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Woohoo! Got an Antec power supply, got it installed with no problems, and now my computer is back to its old self. Still not as quiet as I'd like, but its a vast improvement. Thanks for the help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sethmahoney
    Woohoo! Got an Antec power supply, got it installed with no problems, and now my computer is back to its old self. Still not as quiet as I'd like, but its a vast improvement. Thanks for the help!
    No prob.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Good to hear! Here's a way to make it sound quiet: run 70 case fans simultaneously for ten hours straight. Turn them off, and boot up your Antec. It'll sound whisper-quiet, I assure you .
    This space intentionally left blank.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234