Hi I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux in general so try to bare with me because I know how to do nothing really!

But anyways, yesterday my laptop which had a 32-bit Vista OS on it suddenly decided to take a massive crap all over its self and wouldnt allow me to do anything including pressing F8 to try to do a complete System Restore. So I decided to put Ubuntu 8.1 on it, if played around with Ubuntu a little before on another PC jsut to see what it was like and I liked it alot. So after I installed it on my laptop everything works perfect except wireless.. It will connect to my home network and will open up webpages and what not but afeter about 2 or 3 minutes the connection will start to get extremely slow and the connection strength gets really horrible and is only about 67% when Im only 5 or 6 feet away from the router. So how can I try to go about fixing this??

The computer is a Gateway MT6728, the Terminal tells me that the wireless built into the PC is RLT8101E/RTL8102E. And from what Ive seen from around the Ubuntu forums this is a pretty crappy wireless ship for Ubuntu in general...