Thread: Rhythmbox won't find wma files on NAS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Rhythmbox won't find wma files on NAS

I have a bookmark in the 'places' menu that points to a folder on a NAS (Maxtor Shared Storage II) that contains my music collection. Clicking on it puts an icon on the desktop and lets me browse the contents of the folder.
    The folder & sub folders contain a mixture of mp3 and wma files.
    When I ask Rhythmbox to 'Import Folder', it finds the mp3 files, but doesn't find the wma files.
    If I copy the files to a local folder, Rhythmbox finds and plays both files successfully.
    Any thoughts how to get Rhythmbox to find the wma files would be much appreciated. I'm completely new to ubuntu, so need very basic instructions - willing to try things and, hopefully, learn though...
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Rhythmbox won't find wma files on NAS

Sort of same issue here [and I see no one replied since first osted in March ]. Rhytmbox sees my NAS device but says "Could not open resource for reading" and any and all sound files. I click on a .mp3 through Ubuntu's version of file explorer and it plays fine in the movie payer. It won't play at all through Rhythmbox.

When I move the song content to the local drive, all works as advertised.

So frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Rhythmbox won't find wma files on NAS

Your problem seems slightly different - it looks like Rhythmbox isn't able to access your NAS at all. I don't have that problem: Rhythmbox accesses the NAS and finds & plays mp3 files without problem.
    My problem is that it just doesn't 'see' the wma files when they're on the NAS: it's as if they don't exist. And the problem isn't one of compatibility with wma files because they're found and played if I copy them to a local drive.
    I'm still very much a beginner - but perhaps your problem is to do with the way your NAS share is being mounted, or access rights to that share? Perhaps it's worth reviewing the networking sections here? Do you have to enter a password to connect to your NAS?
    I'm not too bothered as I tend to use a Roku Soundbridge to access my music. Hope you sort out your problem though.