Thread: Duke of Oil(s) in NWI

&)ky#)^ is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Duke of Oil(s) in NWI

I took my car in for an oil change today at a local Duke of Oil garage. While paying, I noticed that their computer was running Ubuntu. I really couldn't believe my eyes that a big business like them would utilize Ubuntu for the majority of their business functions. I couldn't contain my excitement and I mentioned how cool it was that they use Ubuntu to the nice lady who billed me, but I could tell she had this "whatever, I don't know what you're talking about, I just work here" feeling about it. I mean, she wasn't rude, she probably just didn't know what I meant.

Anyhow, I think it's reasonable to believe that the rest of their locations also utilize Ubuntu. I think it would be a nice gesture to send them a postcard or something thanking them for using Ubuntu. We'd be putting ourselves out there and setting a positive example in the business community.

Beans

Re: Duke of Oil(s) in NWI

That's really cool!

I work in the education space, and I'm guessing that migrating a small business over to Ubuntu would be a lot easier than migrating a school.

I don't think I've spotted it (as a Desktop OS) out in the wild yet, though.