Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan control script

Beans

Re: Fan control script

Thanks, cornelius2! I'm using your patch now. The gradual change seems to work well.

So there's no point in setting sensorsUsed greater than 2 in a dual-core machine, right? (At least if you consider that the CPU sensors are the only useful ones for the script.)

Tiago

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tiagobt View Post
    So there's no point in setting sensorsUsed greater than 2 in a dual-core machine, right? (At least if you consider that the CPU sensors are the only useful ones for the script.)
    Well, the CPU temperature seems to rise and drop very quickly. Therefore, some of the appleSMC sensors may reflect the temperature you feel under your palms better (which changes more slowly). So, using a few appleSMC sensors (though I don't know which one is which) in addition to CPU sensors to set the fan speed might not be a bad idea.

Beans

I've made some experiments and I've noticed a big difference using 2 or 4 sensors.

If I use 2 sensors, the temperature reported in the log is around 25-30 degrees, and the fan speed is very low (2000 rpm).

If I use 4 sensors, the temperature reported in the log is around 50-56 degrees, and the fan speed is around 4800-5000 rpm.

The temperatures measured with 4 sensors look more realistic to me. I'd say using 4 sensors is safer. What do you think?

Beans

I think both are safe enough. Laptops are just designed such that some part will be warmer (and will tolerate more heat) than other parts. Also, you're not limited to only tweaking that parameter, you can play with the other parameters there too. Though, at the end your parameter choices will come down to which one of these you prefer: heat or fan noise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the default speed for my macbook pro in OS X is about 2000 rpms, and I force it up when plugged into an external power source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

wow, i just realized you have to cd into the "smcfancontrol" folder, then execute the install script...i also added the "s" on this line.. update-rc.d $initscript defaults[/B] $scriptrlevel || fatal "Failed to install rc-scripts"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It should work OK now...
    Once upon a time, there was.
    Then, there wasn't.
    - A description of life, the universe, and everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
    when i installed Snow Leopard
    Apologies for going off-topic, buy how do you have Snow Leopard? Are you an Apple dev? Torrent?
    I like OS X better, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you an Apple Premium/Select member, you get access to their developer seeds. You can also receive a download-ticket from someone with such account, and get access to it with a free account (They got a certain amount of tickets to share).

Not that i have Premium/Select membership, nor a ticket... (Yeah, it was a torrent... After buying my Segway, i didn't have $3499 left for the membership, but i swear i'm going to buy the release!)
    Last edited by Joushou; July 29th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Once upon a time, there was.
    Then, there wasn't.
    - A description of life, the universe, and everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this excellent script still quits sometimes. As a workaround I scheduled a cron job to restart it every 4 minutes. Now lappy is nice and cool.

I added the following line to /etc/crontab

*/4 * * * * root pkill smcfancontrol && /etc/init.d/smcfancontrol.sh start
    linux, linux, linux

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast