Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fan control script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fan control script

Quote Originally Posted by samuaz View Post
    thank you very much, I did a sudo apt-get purge applesmc-dkms to uninstall the previous one, and then install the new one with sudo dpkg-i

restarts, but my fan is at 6200 rpm and my CoreTemp to 48 degrees Celsius cry cry
    Have you installed macfancontrold from here: https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa

If you run the command below does your fan speed drop?

Code:
    sudo echo 3000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by nevius View Post
    Have you installed macfancontrold from here: https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa

If you run the command below does your fan speed drop?

Code:
    sudo echo 3000" > /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/fan1_min
    the speed not drop 6200 rpm

I turn off the computer if I leave a few minutes off, when turned on, the fan returns to normal, but upon reaching 60 degrees starts to rise and being at 6200 rpm does not drop, although the temperature has already fallen: S
    (macbook 4,1 core2duo)

I formatted and reinstalled ubuntu 15 times thinking that was installed wrong: S

in mac osx leopard 10.5.8 works fine,
    PD image of osx all temp sensors and fan speed, in this moment 57 celcius and fan 1798 rpm

ILOVE UBUNTU BUT **** SMC FAN CONTROL ITS KILLME
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by samuaz; May 9th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nevius, that command would only work assuming the module doesn't have the manual parameter set, and the kernel module haven't decided that a sensor is too hot. Oh, and if you add the missing quote. The min temperatures are just that to the kernel module - Minimum temperatures. While this is my normal approach to change fan speeds, it's not a direct control. It just sets what the fans are supposed to do when the kernel module thinks it's fair enough to idle. If the kernel module thinks the sensors are too hot, it will pick a speed between _min and _max, most likely just _max. To actually change the speeds, you need to enable manual mode. (Done with the manFanControl=true setting in my script.)

I never had any issues using the auto mode, though, but apparently some do. It may be due to one sensor being very hot in general, and the kernel module just gets confused. (Some of the sensors tend to report things like 70 degrees celsius when the laptop is idle and cold, which is why I added ways to select specific sensors to use in the script.)
    The problem would then be that the AppleSMC kernel module is completely ignorant of how many sensors *I* use for my calculations, the module itself just looks at all the sensors accessible by the SMC, and if one is hot (GPU, for example), it will spin the fans up if it's not in manual mode. On my old MacBook Pro, I believe the GPU die sensor (sensor 7 I think) reported around 70 degrees celsius when the laptop was cold, and you may have a similar issue, seeing manual mode fixed it. However, watch out when you're only using the coretemp sensors - The fans will only spin up when your CPU gets hot. If you GPU gets toasty, it won't react till the GPU heats the CPU up enough for the fans to start spinning... Which is why I prefer using auto-mode, and as many sensors as possible.

I'm glad the people still find the script useful, even years after I touched it last time. I never expected anyone to use it! Also glad to see that some are picking it up and doing some cleaning (the github repo doesn't work, though)...
    Last edited by Joushou; May 11th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Once upon a time, there was.
    Then, there wasn't.
    - A description of life, the universe, and everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For anyone else with macbook pro (mine is 6,2) running natty, I installed several of the packages from the mactel ppa and my fans started responding to temperatures correctly! I just put my cpu under stress (googled 'flash cpu stress' and picked one) and watched my fan speed climb to around 4200 before backing off.

Here's the PPA listing packages for natty only:
    https://launchpad.net/~mactel-suppor...s_filter=natty

Now if only I could get my brightness controls working...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567