Thread: dual boot of ubuntu and mac os tiger?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Question dual boot of ubuntu and mac os tiger?

i've got a ppc powermac with an 80 gb hard drive and I want a dual boot of mac os 10.4.11 tiger and ubuntu hardy. how do I do it? (I want 40 gb for mac os and 40 gb for hardy).

Beans
    Distro

Re: dual boot of ubuntu and mac os tiger?

...anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigfefan View Post
    i've got a ppc powermac with an 80 gb hard drive and I want a dual boot of mac os 10.4.11 tiger and ubuntu hardy. how do I do it? (I want 40 gb for mac os and 40 gb for hardy).
    1. Use Ubuntu install CD or some live cd (like Finnix, http://www.finnix.org) to partition your hard drive (my personal favorite is mac-fdisk, but you may want to use some GUI tool for that).
    2. Partition it, so /dev/hda1 is Apple Partition Map, /dev/hda2 is Apple Bootstrap (approx. 1 Mb is enough), /dev/hda3 (ext2) and /dev/hda4 (ext3) for linux, /dev/hda5 (HFS+) for mac os x.
    3. Install linux.
    4. Install Mac OS X.

Beans
    Distro

thankeeeeeee everybody!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The method I use is to put the mac disk in and use the disk utility on the disk to form a partition for the mac os. I leave unformated the space I want to use for Ubuntu. Then I install the Mac os. Then I use the Ubuntu disk to install Ubuntu in the free space. For a first time install it is probably best if you don't try to make the partitions. Just let the disk install in the largest free space and it will form the partitions you need. Later when you know more about what you want lyou can change it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    The method I use is to put the mac disk in and use the disk utility on the disk to form a partition for the mac os. I leave unformated the space I want to use for Ubuntu. Then I install the Mac os. Then I use the Ubuntu disk to install Ubuntu in the free space. For a first time install it is probably best if you don't try to make the partitions. Just let the disk install in the largest free space and it will form the partitions you need. Later when you know more about what you want lyou can change it.
    i tried that approach. at one point between disk optimizations, the mac os footprint exceeded its alloted disk space and I was unable to use mac os, so i had to reboot with the mac os install disk and reformat the drive and give one partition the entire drive. I'll boot within Q instead.

about that, It says in q that i have a bios date error and so ubuntu wouldn't boot in my q emulator... i had luck with a cracked version of windows 2000 sp4, though...