Thread: Problem with files copied over to USB thumb drive- (showing 0 bytes in windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem with files copied over to USB thumb drive- (showing 0 bytes in windows)

Guys,

Whenever I copy a file from my kubuntu drive over to my FAT usb thumb drive and take it over to a windows machine, the file can be seen from windows, but will show 0 bytes.

I am guessing it has something to do with the fact that the file is being copied from an Ext3 file system to a FAT file system.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way to copy the file in a way that can be seen fine in windows? Thanks.

Killabee44

Beans

Re: Problem with files copied over to USB thumb drive- (showing 0 bytes in windows)

It has nothing to do with transferring between file systems.

Have you tried multiple files? Are you sure you're not copying a 0-byte file? Are you ejecting it properly?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with files copied over to USB thumb drive- (showing 0 bytes in windows)

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    It has nothing to do with transferring between file systems.

Have you tried multiple files? Are you sure you're not copying a 0-byte file? Are you ejecting it properly?
    I was doing a single file. will try multiples. It definitely wasnt a 0-byte file. Also, I don't think I ejected it properly. Will look into those. Thanks.