View Poll Results: What didn't work initially that you needed to get working...?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • Video (proper screen resolution)

144 35.38%
  • Sound (not codecs... just having any sound)

51 12.53%
  • Internet Connection (wireless, wired, dial-up...)

115 28.26%
  • Keyboard/ Mouse recognition

21 5.16%
  • USB automounting

5 1.23%
  • CD/DVD/Floppy drives (writing/reading/ejecting)

16 3.93%
  • Printing (faxing, scanning, yada yada yada)

72 17.69%
  • Bluetooth/ Palm pilot/ other specialty device

24 5.90%
  • Other (please specify)

51 12.53%
  • Everything worked straight out of the box!

127 31.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you overcome to get Ubuntu installed and working?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What have you overcome to get Ubuntu installed and working?

Another one of my "just curious" polls...

I wanted to add more options, but 10 is the max. I'm also curious if anyone has most stuff working but just uses Ubuntu anyway.

For my computer, Ubuntu was good with everything out-of-the-box... except screen resolution. I popped a couple of lines into my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and it's all good now.
    Last edited by aysiu; December 30th, 2005 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What have you overcome to get Ubuntu installed and working?

My sound card was recognised, but i had to enable the sound in alsamixer. Other than that, everything works out of the box!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

One of my wireless card wan't detected, but after install ndiwrapper it worked without any problem.

Other problem, was the USB disks. Everytime I deleted a file it wans't deleted but moved to a folder called .trash in the USB disk. But I add the command to delete it in Nautilus and everything worked.

The definition of my screen wasn't very good, but after install ATI drivers everything worked fine.

Other problem, was with Unreal Tournament 2004. This game should run without problems in Linux, but it doens't work with me... I installed 4 or more times but it never worked... The only way was to install the demo and it worked, but the full game doesn't...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

The only problem I had (Still have) is any game I launch on my laptop (Intel I810 graphics) will only run @ 800x600. There is a large black box around the game window. But, since I do not game a lot, I use it this way and enjoy my Ubuntu. It's certainly not a show stopper.
    Dell E1405 - 1.66GHZ Core Duo - 2GB RAM
    Ubuntu Dapper
    Registered Linux User # 360540

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

never have gotten my cd/dvd writer working. My kids computer with xp is used for that. Even my ubuntu iso's have to be bruned on that one. If I was permitted to install ubuntu on that computer, I would probably try harder. cd's/dvd's play ok though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Out of the box, just the usual -> graphic drivers (3D ATI - repo way), fstab etc setup.
    But that is what every Linux user should read about and get to know.
    AMD64 3000+, 512MB DDR, 120GB SATA, RADEON 9550 @ Linux
    I'm still expanding my Linux knowledge and I'm enjoying every minute of it =D>

Beans

I have virtually nothing to do hardware-wise on my desktop and laptop (so I voted EWSOOTB!), but my mum's T22 needed a lot of fiddling around to get perfect hibernate and resume. It's still flaky even now :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had sound problems initially, most were related to flash-plugin and mplayer-plugin. I solved most of them (sound in flash still doesn't work properly, so I just reverted to the state were there was none).
    I also had some problems with video playback, which I solved by installing totem-xine.

The really disturbing issue was that Ubuntu didn't like to installed on my harddisk first and I needed to resize the end of my root partition to a cylinder below 100GB to get it working. It took me like half a day to figure that out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: What have you overcome to get Ubuntu installed and working?

My RTL8180 didn't work right away, but with a wuick look in the forums I had it fixed. I did however, just get a webcam and it is not working. But optherwise, very nice. Every aspect of the my laptop has been working pretty good. I don't suspend, and I guess they doesn't work. But I don't care.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Hidden!

initial limit of 60 Hz in Refresh Rate for certain monitors following installs. I wish Ubuntu had something like sax2 ( SuSE advanced X Window System-configuration).

Edit: Perhaps sax2 for Ubuntu could be considered? After all, yast4debian is in development.
    Last edited by lotusleaf; December 30th, 2005 at 01:57 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast