Thread: Acer Aspire 3680: wireless button now works!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Acer Aspire 3680: wireless button now works!

Hello to all users of the Acer Aspire 3680:

After a recent upgrade to intrepid, following a wireless access failure, I have descovered that the button on the front of this laptop now functions!

Please post your experience with your acer wireless button, and any "strange" functionality that you have.

here is what I consider "pertinent" info about my wireless;

Wireless chip: taken from the output of lshw -C network...
    Code:
     *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: AR2413 802.11bg NIC
           vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
           physical id: 3
           bus info: pci@0000:0a:03.0
           logical name: wifi0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:19:7d:40:b8:c0
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci ip=192.168.1.135 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath_pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    Button function, is rather interesting, (see this link for the full post on it's funcion, and other troubleshooting to get the chip to work).

But briefly.

Depending on how many times I "slide" the button, I get different returns from an <iwlist scan> - from getting only the master interfaces, to then getting a list of ALL "visible" the interfaces, and then ALL interfaces (including my "hidden" local network).

If you are having a similar thing please report back what you get (just as a matter of interest of course).

Remeber post you <lshw -C network> details, so as we can make a true comparison.

If anyone out there has problems with this card / system to get it working (allthough it allways worked straight out of the box for my instalations) drop me a line, and I will help were I can, or direct you to one of the various "experts" that are much more knowledgable than me (like the guys that helped me get my chip working again recently (thanks go to pytheas22 and kevdog)

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Acer Aspire 3680: wireless button now works!

Hi, I could do with a bit of help on this, we have the same wireless card.

lshw -C network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-network:0
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR2413 802.11bg NIC
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:06:05.0
    logical name: wmaster0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:16:ce:14:b4:ba
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k_pci ip=10.42.43.1 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath5k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
    *-network:1
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 7
    bus info: pci@0000:06:07.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 10
    serial: 00:0a:e4:f6:ca:ea
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=32 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: pan0
    serial: be:c7:35:79:43:1d
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

I am trying to connect woth a MacBok running Tiger for internet usage bit am geting very slow speeds.

I know this is an old thread but maybe.......!
    Last edited by dePeatrick; July 16th, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added to..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Acer Aspire 3680: wireless button now works!

dePeatrick

sorry I missed your reply onto this thread.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be of much use to you on the issue of speed via your wireless card.

Unless you are running a dual boot on your mac and are able to demosntrate a considerably different connection speed when using one or the other systems I have no way of knowing how to proove that there is a problem with your wireless card or the connection in general.

However, in my experience whilst using XP-pro, the connection via a wireless card on Ubuntu was much improved in comparison.

There are some things that you may like to note in your situation however.

Walls and other obstacles - I know that it seems obvious, but we have some serious "dead spots" in our house, and I don't completely understand why!

Baby communicators. I know this sounds ridiculous but I read somewhere that the "old fashoined" analogue walkie talkie that people use for listening in on thier little ones can seriously interfere with being able to connect to a wirless network (I have personal experience of this as we use them at home, as do the neighbours!) - in fact that may also explain our "dead spots"

I don't know if that has helped you or not, or if you have found another thread that had a solution, if you have please enter a link to the thread / web page or otherwise explain what you have done.

sorry to not be of much more use.

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page