Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

Beans

Angry Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

Hi,

I have a Dell M1330. It came pre-installed with Windows Vista Ultimate, and I decided to move to Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. All hardware working great except Bluetooth. In reading various posts, it seems that if bluetooth was disabled in Vista before installing Ubuntu, it needs to be reenabled using Vista.

Please tell me this is not the only way. I've spent some long hours customising my Ubuntu install. I truly don't want to have to *blat* it and install Vista again to get my bluetooth working. Is there another way? Even if there's some way to boot vista off a USB drive and reenable it. Is there any plan to make it possible to enable the bluetooth from Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

(Not with my m1330, so can't give detailed instructions...) It might be worth checking in the BIOS. You press Delete or F2 I think on boot to get into that.

The BIOS has options to turn bluetooth/wi-fi on or off - and, I think, control the switch on the right-side of the laptop (i.e. whether this turns off bluetooth or not).

I guess it could be disabled in some otherway - but I'd give this a try!

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

Thanks for the response. No, unfortunately not that simple. I've tried everything from disabling, enabling in the BIOS, using the switch to turn it on and off. I've read in posts that:
    1) Dell's windows vista driver upgrades the firmware of the bluetooth module making it unusable in linux... so there is a dell patch to downgrade the firmware.
    2) If the bluetooth module was disabled in windows vista (by using the driver software) before installing ubuntu (linux), then it is not possible to enable it again using the ubuntu driver. This is because the code to do it is obfuscated in the proprietry windows driver.

So... I decided to take the plunge and shrink my ubuntu volume and install windows vista with dual boot. I then downgraded the bluetooth driver, and enabled the bluetooth module... Now when I boot up off the ubuntu live-cd (usb) I can see and use the bluetooth module. Progress!

However, when I boot into my ubuntu installation on my harddrive, the OS doesn't pick up the bluetooth module.
    * Running lsusb it shows the line "Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth". This wasn't showing before... good.
    * running dellWirelessCtl -i shows the following:
    Radio Status for Bluetooth:
    Bluetooth supported
    Bluetooth installed
    Bluetooth enabled
    Status Code: 0

This was showing as "Bluetooth disabled" before... Good!

Why does the Gnome bluetooth software not see the device? If I set the bluetooth preferences in "system->preferences->bluetooth" to only show the icon when a device is present, the icon never shows up. I think I may need to uninstall all traces of bluetooth drivers etc from my ubuntu, and then reinstall them, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Any ideas? (ubuntu 8.10 intrepid)

Beans

Talking Re: Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

Frikken yes!

I just did:

sudo apt-get remove bluez
    sudo apt-get install bluez

Bluetooth working! (obviously this was after the vista install etc. as detailed above)

perhaps this will help someone else.

l8tr

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Glad your sorted I had the same issue although i am dual booting and was able to use the dell software to turn on the bluetooth module, took me a while to resolve this on google,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Dell XPS M1330 - enable bluetooth without reinstalling windows?

Interesting. I had the same problem after removing Windows XP without enabling my Bluetooth adapter. I was unable to activate the Bluetooth device after installing Ubuntu. But the BIOS tweak worked for me!

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 630m (same as Dell M140) that previously ran WinXP. With Ubuntu, after a restart, I opened BIOS setup and in "Wireless Devices", made the device to be activated "by Application", instead of using "fn keys". This was the last category in my BIOS settings. Then, booting into Ubuntu, I was able to detect my cell phone by simply using the BlueZ interface.

Still the blue light on the adapter doesn't turn ON. And, the wireless is also controlled by the app now. But, these are fine since I did not have to install Windows again to turn on the Bluetooth. Perhaps I could turn the fn keys control back on now.

Beans

Well, I have been thinking about this, as I am stuck in the same situation. I would prefer not to install windows on my computer, so I think I have come up with a solution. Going to try this soon, but until then here is my idea:

Apparently there are several programs that can create a LiveCD/USB from an existing windows partition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Windows-based

So, I would think that making a LiveCD/USB from a computer with windowsXP installed, booting up the laptop in question, then flashing the firmware should work. This all of course depends on if the the LiveCD's are able to make a decent windows environment. I'll test this out when I am able, if anyone has the chance, please post your success/failure here .

Cheers,

-Jab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I also had this problem... without Windows, I cannot turn on my disabled Bluetooth.

This should NOT be the case, as Ubuntu should be able to exist WITHOUT Windows!

Indeed, another unrelated problem that Ubuntu should be able to solve without resorting to Windows is that of an improperly unplugged NTFS hard drive.
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans

Well, in case anyone is still interested in this post, I have found that Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) works perfectly with my headset (AmbiCom).

I didn't have to install anything, it just worked out of the box.

I'm using of course a Dell XPS M1330 (if not, I won't be posting on this one).

Regards,

Helder

Beans

I think I have this problem too. I'm running a Dell XPS M1330 and don't seem to have Bluetooth working. I just bought a new android phone so this has become an issue. Here's the output of my command to see what's going on:

Code:
    sudo dellWirelessCtl --i
    Libsmbios version : 2.2.13
    smbios-wireless-ctl version : 2.2.13
    Wireless Info:
    	Hardware switch supported
    	Hardware switch is Off
    	WiFi Locator supported
    	Wireless Keyboard not supported
    	NVRAM Size: 256 bytes
    	NVRAM format version: 1

Radio Status for WLAN:
    	WLAN enabled at boot
    	WLAN supported
    	WLAN disabled
    	WLAN installed
    	WLAN controlled by wireless switch at boot
    	WLAN runtime switch control currently enabled
    	Status Code: 1

Radio Status for Bluetooth:
    	Bluetooth enabled at boot
    	Bluetooth supported
    	Bluetooth disabled
    	Bluetooth installed
    	Bluetooth controlled by wireless switch at boot
    	Bluetooth runtime switch control currently enabled
    	Status Code: 1

Radio Status for WWAN:
    	WWAN enabled at boot
    	WWAN supported
    	WWAN disabled
    	WWAN not installed
    	WWAN controlled by wireless switch at boot
    	WWAN runtime switch control currently enabled
    	Status Code: 2

Wireless Switch Configuration
    	WLAN switch control: on
    	Bluetooth switch control: on
    	WWAN switch control: on
    	switch config: not locked
    	WiFi locator: enabled
    	WiFi Locator config: not locked
    Does that mean I have to load up a Windows environment and apply a patch? I tried using a virtual machine but there were "no compatible devices found". I've been using this system for most of a year I can't just reformat back to windows and do this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast