View Poll Results: If you asked a(n) friend, would they let you put linux on their PC?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definite Yes

10 7.30%
  • Yes

20 14.60%
  • Maybe

57 41.61%
  • No

21 15.33%
  • Definite No

16 11.68%
  • "I'll have to try it first"

21 15.33%
  • I woulden't even bother asking

42 30.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux needs to change its image

Beans

Re: Linux needs to change its image

Right, Linux does not need to change it's image, some of the communities do though because they're full of Microsoft bashing and Y distro vs X distro, like this one.

In my opinion the reason why Linux is getting a "bad" image is because people are installing it on their friends computers and things when them themselves have only used Linux for less than a year and have no experience outside the Ubuntu mindset. This is going to cause nothing but trouble and you can't expect someone to go through Forums especially if they had no problem before.

Even after 8 years of using Linux I still recommend Windows to my customers and I do not suggest Linux unless they're either advanced users or they are people who will ONLY use the computer for Office work and Internet stuff. When this is the case I give them a heavily customised OpenSuSE install with some of my customisations to make it easier for them to use, but YaST can handle any administrative task from the GUI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rhcm123 View Post
    Linux has a problem. (Well, it has lots, but the few I have are mostly my fault ). The problem is: Nobody likes it. It makes up %1~ percent of the desktop market, and only %75~ of the server market. I think we need to have a nice sit down talk (wat) about Linux's image, which is really it's main problem.

-Point 1: It costs... too little?
    I actually think that linux not costing money is one of it's drawbacks. I think people belive that if it dosent cost money then it must be bad, as it was made by a couple enthusiasts in their closets. Instead of getting a corporate capitolist-competitive product (which is apparently better), you get some "communist free-for-all" going on.
    Pay for one of the commcercial distros but I won't be anytime soon

Macs cost money, and they are apparently "linux". Technically no (as they do not use the linux kernel) but i know quite a few mac users who love to claim that their macs are oh so secure because their "linux". They aren't linux. Their UNIX-based, and that is a big difference, one few recognize nor give credit for.
    Most Mac users who have half a brain claim their OS is part of the BSD variant since way back in great continuum of time they used some BSD code. These days they're aren't even close.

-Point 2: Coolness
    You see the mac ads with the shiny mac and the jazzy indie music while the guy explains how it's the most eco-friendly laptop available, or the windows ads of the 8-year-old making a movie, and how easy that is to do. Linux has no ads, no banners, nothing cool to describe it; No offense to Tux, but a penguine isn't the best mascot.
    I hate the Mac commercials and their overall look but I guess that's just my opinion

-Point 6: The Admins
    Honestly, who of you remembers the original hackers (back in the day). Long, greasy hair, tye-dye, etc. Hell, the hacker ethic is a great example. For instance, Richard Stallman. No offence man, but cut the hair.
    Have you seen some of the pictures of early Microsoft, of course without the long hair

Beans
    Hidden!

Poll: "I wouldn't even bother asking"

Linux doesn't need to change it's image I don't think, it is clear what Linux stands for...if anything it's the distro's that need to think about marketing - the image is fine to me

Ubuntu is already doing some good with improving the image of a linux based OS, and as such has had a big influx of new users (assumed from the activity I see on these forums if nothing else...)

The fact though is that people still get windows on a PC by default for the most part, and mac os is on all apples...what can we do about this? Not a lot right now unless the vendors adopt a linux distro by default....

Maybe vendors should start producing there own debian/fedora/suse/slackware etc distros...

I am happy with how things are, there is a good development community and a fair selection of products available. Linux won't disappear so I am quite content with the current representation

BTW, don't knock the early/current pioneers, where would we be without them!
    Last edited by kaivalagi; March 19th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post

I like it. I think there's a few million more people that like it as well.
    I know *I* like it and, really, when you come right down to it, isn't that what's REALLY important?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    I know *I* like it and, really, when you come right down to it, isn't that what's REALLY important?
    yes.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The biggest difference between Linux and the Windows/Mac operating systems is that Windows and Mac WORK. I am very experienced in Windows and have a background that goes back to CPM and all OS's inbetween. (in addition to OS400 and some familiarity with IBM mainframes and networking. A month ago I decided to try Linux and so far have not put together a system I consider as 'useable' for more than basic email/surfing/and some document work. Most applications available are marginal and require configuration with minumum guidelines. Just settig up an off the shelf Linksys print server was a mess with no decent help from anyone. (Canonicle thinks they are only used by the enterprise set. Many of my friends have one or more on their network. I have two.)

I can not see my wife EVER using it as it is today.

Admittably, I am a 'newbie' but only to THIS OS. I am not quite at the point of giving up, but I am quite disappointed at the glowing promises of Linux and the constant bashing of other OS's. It detracts for Linux's image. Much like being a Ford or Chevy bigot. The concept of mutual help is good, IF you can get it. I see post read with no answers offered and much use of Ubuntu forums as a social networking experience, as well as some quite inappropriate responses (for example if you want point and click use Windows)

I am certain that an excellent integration could be done that would serve the 'masses' but Linux as I received it from Ubuntu is a long way from achieving that goal. Possibly as a server for the techies we seem to be but NOT as a replacement for Windows or Mac.

My apologies if any of this offends anyone, maybe they need to consider that an OS has one purpose only. To allow mere humans to inteface with a computer. Windows and Mac do this. So far I do not find this likely with Linux (as delivered)

Beans

Please add to this list - even if you disagree with some of the things I have said. Also all dissenters will be shot
    Well, I like Linux. That's all I care about. Your rhetoric is altogether false IMO. I hope you don't have a problem with that.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

A penguin is a much better mascot than a half-eaten apple or an opaque window.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post

I give them a heavily customised OpenSuSE install with some of my customisations to make it easier for them to use, but YaST can handle any administrative task from the GUI.
    If your "heavily customised OpenSuSE install" is so much easier, why don't you do the world a favor, and start your own distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

-Point 5: Creativity
    Honestly, how creative are you on linux. The only good media-related program availble is GIMP. There is no video editing, very few image display programs can display animated GIF's, the Office Suite sucks (no offence openoffice, but i can't use the presentation software for love or money), you have to install multimedia codecs, etc.
    i dont do any video editing or drawing on windows normally

and when i do i still use gimp

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast