Thread: Java and OpenOffice on a PowerPC G4

Beans

Question Java and OpenOffice on a PowerPC G4

I'm new to the forum and Ubuntu, so I apologise if this question has been asked before (I did look).

I installed 8.04 desktop on a PowerPC G4, and everything is dandy, except OpenOffice can't find a Java JRE, so the wizards don't work. I did find this bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/250825

which I think says Java on the PowerPC distribution was broken, but is now (2009-03-10) fixed, at least for the Jaunty version. How can I incorporate this fix into 8.04? Please don't say 'wait for Jaunty', as I have persuaded a local non-profit to try Ubuntu for their office workstations, and one attraction was the LTS status of 8.04.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Java and OpenOffice on a PowerPC G4

Quote Originally Posted by icorbyn View Post
    I'm new to the forum and Ubuntu, so I apologise if this question has been asked before (I did look).

I installed 8.04 desktop on a PowerPC G4, and everything is dandy, except OpenOffice can't find a Java JRE, so the wizards don't work. I did find this bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/250825

which I think says Java on the PowerPC distribution was broken, but is now (2009-03-10) fixed, at least for the Jaunty version. How can I incorporate this fix into 8.04? Please don't say 'wait for Jaunty', as I have persuaded a local non-profit to try Ubuntu for their office workstations, and one attraction was the LTS status of 8.04.

Thanks.
    From reading the bug, the problem appears to be the fact that OpenOffice was built without the Java stuff for PowerPC. It has not been built with it until the version that is now in Jaunty... therefore, really the only way to get the fixed version would be to get the jaunty version (for now). I would also request a backport to 8.04 for PowerPC in that bug report.

Beans

Question Re: Java and OpenOffice on a PowerPC G4

Thanks for confirming my take on the bug report.
    I want to keep to a standard 8.04 install, standard repositories etc., so how do I "request a backport to 8.04 for PowerPC"??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if you can specify the JVM you can use the IBM java machine, it supports powerpc architecture

Beans

"if you can specify the JVM you can use the IBM java machine, it supports powerpc architecture "

I can't find a way to specify a JRE for OpenOffice, it's supposed to find one. I think the problem is with the OpenOffice build, not with a JRE for PPC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hope this could help you, see the screenshot attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by icorbyn View Post
    I think the problem is with the OpenOffice build, not with a JRE for PPC.
    that is correct.

Go to that bug report and state that a fix needs to be backported to Gutsy (8.04). Of course, it might even be there already, check if the backports repository is enabled in your sources.list.