Thread: installing and aplying xfce

Beans

Question installing and aplying xfce

I am brand new to Ubuntu (and linux for that matter). I bought an old computer and with the help of a friend installed ubuntu, but the hardware is a little too slow for gnome. He suggested that I install a "lightweight window manager" and pointed me towards xfce. apparently he downloaded it using synaptics but I dont know how to actually change my default manager from GNOME to xfce.

If anyone could give me the complete noob's guide, that would be fantastic. you can assume I know NOTHING about anything. lol

-mtmurdock
    mtmurdock@gmail.com

Beans

Re: installing and aplying xfce

At the GUI login screen, click Options and pick XFce4 from the list. You can make it your default window manager if you wish.

By the way, did you actually install XFce4 or xubuntu-desktop package?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

i just checked my synaptics and i have xfce4 (and all the associated files)

Beans

ok thanks i've got it all figured out. i can switch between the two now pretty easily. now i just have a few questions about the general operation of the system, things like putting shortcuts on the desk top.

oh what a wonderful world linux is! xfce is NOT easy to work with like gnome... not at all

Beans

Do you think? I really like it, all at a right click of the mouse. Indeed you must work on it a bit to get a nice toolbar etc, this confused me in the beginning also and went back to Gnome. But lately I played around with it and configured to my liking.A bit like Gnome, but much lighter.