Thread: Can't Dual Boot ubuntu. Boots straight to XP

Beans

Can't Dual Boot ubuntu. Boots straight to XP

Whats up all? Glad to be apart of these forums, hope to be on the other end of these problems some day.

Well I have a little problem. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Firstly, I was able to make sense of how to partition ubuntu correctly, or so I though. I unpartitioned my HD completely, freeing up the entire thing(160GB). Then I installed ubuntu and and partitioned my drive just like this:

|| -- XP -- || ---- /home ---- || - / - || swap ||

20 GB 120GB ext3 10GB ext3 4GB

Except, I left the XP, 20GB portion unpartitioned, unformatted and unmounted. I just set it as Primary as I planned to format it as NFTS with XP. Everything else was carried out as logical, partitioned and formated. Then, I went to install XP, but when I tried to install XP on the 20GB partition which I thought was unpartitioned...it apparently was not (I'm 100% sure I told ubuntu to leave it alone...no mount...nothing. Just a primary empty partition). So, the install told me deleting the 20GB partition, leaving it unpartitioned, and then partitioning over that was the only way to partition the drive...so thats what I did.

Windows Installed and formatted fine, but upon restart I did not get a dual boot menu, goes straight to windows every time. So, I then installed "FS-Drive". During the install process I saw :

|| -- XP -- || ---- /home ---- || - / - || swap ||

20 GB NFTS 120GB ext3 10GB ext3 4GB

got to pick a letter for my partitioned drives and everything. So, everything is partitioned, but where is ubuntu at? The drives show up on windows, but when I click on any of them, other than the NTFS, I get a pop up saying " the disk in drive x is not formatted would you like to format it now?" I click no.

THEN, I restart my PC with the ubuntu install CD in there, and it boots up ubuntu, but as if I'm about to instll the OS for the first time. So, I clicked Install ubuntu. It started the install process all over. When I got to the partition portion, I chose manual, and there was nothing to partition. That /dev/sda5(whatever it is by default) was there, but no partitions showed up. So, I could've unpartition everything, but I just left it alone and hit quit. Then....ubuntu LOADED. I could use firefox and everything.

I then went to click on the NFTS partition/volume/drive/whatever to open it (apparently mount it?), but I got some unclean shutdown message:

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdf1': Operation not supported
    Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
    clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
    taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /mnt/external/ -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sdf1 /mnt/external/ ntfs-3g defaults,force 0 0

Got the same message even with ext3 volumes.

Thats when it hit me..."I'm in over my head". I didn't dare try any of that recommended stuff. Partly...because I have no clue where to under it or what it means. I'll figure that out in a tutorial though as I'm sure any help will require me using some commands....

So, I'm obviously completely oblivious to this crap. I'll be looking at tuts as I wait for a response, but I highly doubt I'll come up with anything. Thanks for looking! Any replys appreciated.
    Last edited by Liveone; March 15th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Dual Boot ubuntu. Boots straight to XP

you're supposed to install XP first see this to fix your GRUB: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=grub+restore
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

Re: Can't Dual Boot ubuntu. Boots straight to XP

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to follow the instructions, but I couldnt "load" /swap /boot or / without formating as the directions clearly stated not to. Interestingly though...I was able to mount all drives this time around. I feel so leet.

Buuuuuut i canceled, popped in the xp CD, deleted the ubuntu partitions. Ill be defragging windows, and partitioning the right way this time around. hopefully that solves it.

Edit: for anyone who is interested, this worked like a charm.
    Last edited by Liveone; March 15th, 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: SOLVED