Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNU/HURD

Beans

Ubuntu GNU/HURD

Although GNU/HURD needs a lot of work and isn't a high priority (not even for the Free Software Foundation), it does seem to be overall conceptually superior to Linux. Debian already has a GNU/HURD port. My question is whether this could be done for Ubuntu. Not to make a big deal about GNU/HURd or anything, but just to have the option and perhaps contribute a little bit to it's development.

Update: I filed a bug on launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/343452

Update 2: Someone created a blueprint on launchpad https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...ec/ubuntu-hurd

What else should i do?
    Last edited by DPic; May 3rd, 2009 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNU/HURD

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    My question is whether this could be done for Ubuntu.
    Aren't we (users) supposed to ask you (Ubuntu member, developer) if this can be done?

(I don't even use Ubuntu, btw, just raising this random logical thought)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenwinter View Post
    Aren't we (users) supposed to ask you (Ubuntu member, developer) if this can be done?

(I don't even use Ubuntu, btw, just raising this random logical thought)
    Member, yes. Developer? no.

Beans

Oh, well, then I think that it can be done.

It's just switching a kernel.

I've heard of Debian with HURD, but never actually tried it. Is it even compatible with Linux?
    As in, will all the programs have to be rewritten specifically for HURD? If yes, then it's not worth the effort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This comes every so often. I'd like to i happen
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

whats hurds theory and why is it better than linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jimi_hendrix View Post
    whats hurds theory and why is it better than linux?
    HURD currently uses the MACH kernel, which is a Microkernel, rather than Monolithic like Linux.

Even way back when, back when Linus first showed some people Linux, he got complaints from the creator of MINIX that it was a dead system, a shot back to the 70's. Of course, that man thought we would all be using UltraSPARCS by now, and that HURD would be ready by now

I DO think that having Ubuntu head towards HURD compatibility IS important, it's undeniable that, once HURD becomes more usable, it WILL become THE de facto standard, it is designed MUCH better than Linux is, even Linus has expressed, again, way-back-when, that HURD was a great thng, and he didn;t think Linux would ever out-last HURD.

I am actually considering making a Debian/HURD install some time soon tbh....

Beans

Hurd will probably be ready the day Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

That said, it will be a great day. I would love to see a working Hurd.

Beans

I'd love to try it (although I don't know why), but it will have to be able to run KDE or Gnome before I do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
    HURD currently uses the MACH kernel, which is a Microkernel, rather than Monolithic like Linux.

Even way back when, back when Linus first showed some people Linux, he got complaints from the creator of MINIX that it was a dead system, a shot back to the 70's. Of course, that man thought we would all be using UltraSPARCS by now, and that HURD would be ready by now

I DO think that having Ubuntu head towards HURD compatibility IS important, it's undeniable that, once HURD becomes more usable, it WILL become THE de facto standard, it is designed MUCH better than Linux is, even Linus has expressed, again, way-back-when, that HURD was a great thng, and he didn;t think Linux would ever out-last HURD.

I am actually considering making a Debian/HURD install some time soon tbh....
    Meh....HURD has been 20+ years in the making...and it still isn't ready. People were cracking terribly funny jokes about it back then too.

The day HURD is the "defact standard" is the day that college fratboys don't get drunk out of their minds regularly.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast