View Poll Results: Which one would be the best choice for me, in your opinion?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay with the Mac

8 20.51%
  • Go back to Ubuntu/Linux

27 69.23%
  • Try Windows

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make the final choice between OSX and Ubuntu (have tried both)

Beans

Question Help me make the final choice between OSX and Ubuntu (have tried both)

If you want to answer, please do not only use the poll but give a full answer along with the poll if you want

Hello people. I want to make the final choice between Ubuntu and OSX, now that i have tried both.

To the moderators, sorry for placing this in the wrong section, but i did it on purpose because the topics in the Other OS section have not been answered in three weeks. If this is really the wrong section, please move it to the right one.

After i got tired of all the annoyances Ubuntu was giving me to fix (video card issues, segmentation faults, boot failures, they were mostly due to broken hardware) i decided to buy a mac mini in 2008 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB harddisk). That was about a year ago. I have now used a mac for about a year. I want to check back on Linux now, to see if it has improved since the last i really used (Gutsy Gibbon). I have also seen that there's a scarce amount of good freeware on Mac OS X, and that gaming on Mac OS X is worse than on Linux. Nearly everything on OS X costs money. That includes upgrading to a new iLife or iWork. Or the new version of the operating system. And if a few new versions get released, you need to buy a new Mac to get good performance. Why do i think gaming sucks on OS X? On Linux, i had fun playing a lot of freeware games. Not only that, WINE worked well the last time i used it. On OS X, half of the freeware games are available and not all of them work well, and Crossover Games (the equivalent to WINE on OS X) is a mess. Firefox 3 is in my opinion better than Safari, but Firefox 3 on the Mac is slow and clunky while on Ubuntu it's fast and light.

However, OS X has been easy to use, and iTunes does work well with my iPod (which i bought after i bought the mac). I am beginning to dislike iTunes though. All the apple-applications are of high quality, while third party quality varies. I like Pidgin more than Adium. I liked Amarok more than iTunes. I liked the taskbar more than the Dock. I like Synaptic more than .DMG's. My Downloads folder is getting stashed with stuff i never delete all the time. This did not happen as frequently on Ubuntu, because i had Synaptic. Ubuntu, for me, wins in usability.

So i want to make a final decision between these two. Ubuntu, or OSX. Ubuntu is the open-source and thus free way. No need to ever pay money for any required computing things. Much software, some bad quality, some good quality. Many freeware games.
    OS X is the expensive but high-quality (only in Apple's applications and a few third-party applications) way.

Should i go Ubuntu again, i need to make sure every piece of hardware i have works well. I have a JamVOX that is both Windows and Linux compatible, it is used to record guitar and to get guitar sounds. If not compatible, i will need to keep OS X as dual-boot. I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet that i don't quite frequently use anymore, however i would like it supported. I know everything IN the Mac Mini is fully supported. However the last time i tried the Ubuntu live CD on the mac mini, my apple keyboard layout was mangled.
    And even if it then does all work, how do i get Ubuntu onto my Mac Mini? The guides i found on the wiki and community help wiki are either outdated or are incomplete.

The things i mostly use my computer for are:
    - Browsing
    - IM'ing
    - Music
    - Watching video's
    - Guitar (JamVOX, Guitar PRO 5 (i found a freeware alternative, i use it on the mac too, called TuxGuitar)
    - Editing music
    - Schoolwork (they use Microsoft Word)
    - Usenet/Newsgroups

Thanks.

EDIT: Next post, in which i ask how to dual-boot: here
    Last edited by arelis; March 14th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Help me make the final choice between OSX and Ubuntu (have tried both)

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and haven't used a Mac much, but in my opinion Ubuntu clearly beats everything.

Beans

Re: Help me make the final choice between OSX and Ubuntu (have tried both)

For fear of being a traitor to the cause I think you should dual boot. I think that you should use Ubuntu for most things but still have OS/X just in case you really need it. I have a similar situation where I use Ubuntu for almost everything but I need 3D Design software for which I use Windoze in a virtual machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why do you feel like you need any help in making up your mind? You already have a mac! Life is not black or white, use your mac and enjoy it. You can also dual boot os x and ubuntu (an option you left out in your poll).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why not triple or even quad boot?
    Big D
    My Blog
    AMD FX 9590 Vishera/32 Gig DDR3 1866/AMD R9 290X GHz Edition
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit/Xubuntu 14.04.1 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Remember that it is YOUR opinion that matters!

Beans

I think a dual-boot would indeed be a good option. I would have everything i need from Mac OS X and everything from Ubuntu. Thanks. Now how do i go about getting an OSX/Ubuntu dual-boot on my Mac Mini? As i wrote in my post, all guides i found were either outdated or incomplete.

Beans

I don't know anything about installing Ubuntu on a Mac but i do know that you have to be VERY careful. The Mac BIOS does strange things. I have a friend who installed it on a Powerbook G4 and went horribly wrong but this was probably because he used an i386 image on a ppc computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lets say that windows is out of the question... I think you should try dual booting, see if you like Linux better now, And if you don't, Stay with Mac.

Try dual booting with ubuntu because ubuntu is free, so it won't cost you any money. I wouldn't recommend windows, cos i hate that M$ %¤"¤ (used vista and xp quite a lot my self)

But seriously try ubuntu, If you like it stick with it.
    Laptop: core i7-3517U 1.9 ghz - 3.4 | 10 Gb DDR3 RAM| 500 GB HD + 24 GB SSD| nvidia geforce GT 620m 1GB, optimus | Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit.
    Desktop: core i7-2600 8x3.4Ghz| 8 Gb DDR3 RAM| 500GB HD| MSI Geforce 580 GTX 3GB lightning| Windows 7 64bit.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arelis View Post
    The things i mostly use my computer for are:
    - Browsing
    - IM'ing
    - Music
    - Watching video's
    - Guitar (JamVOX, Guitar PRO 5 (i found a freeware alternative, i use it on the mac too, called TuxGuitar)
    - Editing music
    - Schoolwork (they use Microsoft Word)
    - Usenet/Newsgroups
    Here are some tips:
    -Yes...with Ubuntu, Firefox comes default

-IM'ing...not sure what that means

-In Linux you have a lot of choices. If you want something really similar to iTunes, try Songbird. If you want something that works awesome and is a bit different, try either Banshee or Amarok.

-If you watch a lot of videos, I would recommend VLC.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    -You can find a lot of games here: www.playdeb.net and www.getdeb.net

-Editing music...I am not sure if I did catch that, but you could try Audacity:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install audacity
    -OpenOffice comes with Ubuntu by default. Just remember to save your work in .doc (Microsoft 2003, Xp format (works with the newest version of MS Words). If you don't do that MS Word can't read the file.

- You can get some screenlets that gives you RSS feeds right on the desktop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast