Thread: Video Card questions for dual monitor setup!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Video Card questions for dual monitor setup!!

Well, I finally did it. I just ordered two 24" monitors. I'm going to be setting them up on my main rig, which only has one slot for a video card (currently taken up by my nVidia 8600GT) I don't do any real hardcore gaming, or graphic-intensive work, I'm mostly going to be using this computer for the internet, word processing, watching movies, running small games, etc. This is the exact card I have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&nm_mc=OTC-RSS

My first question is, can I run the dual monitors from this card? I don't know whether it supports it or not, since it only has one VGA and one DVI hookup. So physically I can connect two monitors, but will this work? Will this card be enough to handle the load?

If I can't do it with my current card, then that leads me to my next question - What video card would you guys recommend to get? I want to try and keep this as cheap as possible, as I just laid out $450 for the monitors (and my fiancée isn't going to be very happy ) but I want to have something that will power the monitors without me having to worry if they're going to lag if I do use a graphic-intensive program in the future.

Please let me know what you guys think! ANY and all help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by swoody; March 14th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Video Card questions for dual monitor setup!!

Ok, well I found some hopeful advice. I spoke with someone that also has an 8600 with one VGA connection, and one DVI, and he just got his dual-monitor system setup sucsessfully. Now, how do I go about doing this? I've never tried to hook up multiple monitors before, so ANY advice would be great!

Also, I was hoping that someone else could also verify that they have done this before? Either one VGA monitor, and one DVI monitor, or someone who has used the same card??
    Last edited by swoody; March 14th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Beans

I really hope you have not been sitting around for 4 months waiting for a reply! But if you haven't solved the problem yet, you just need to get a VGA/DVI converter to plug the 2nd VGA monitor into a DVI socket. They cost about $10 and any decent computer shop should have them.

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, well thanks for the reply Nevart
    I've been waiting months to hear back about this... jk

No, I've moved on since then, and am currently running dual 9800GX2's, so there's no problem in powering 2 (or even 4) monitors

Beans

It should work. I just stopped the computer (Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 card), plugged in the second monitor, run

Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    In a terminal, configured my second monitor for TwinView, clicked apply, Save to x configuration file. Thats all. Maybe reboot. But do not forget to click "save to x configuration file". And be sure u run as root with gksudo as i posted above.

The vga and dvi links make no difference afaik, its a dual head card if it has 2 video outs so it works with 2 monitors.