Thread: Can I update Prey to say 1.2 (1.3 and 1.4 are not relevant)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can I update Prey to say 1.2 (1.3 and 1.4 are not relevant)

Hi, I have Prey retail version (well, Collector's Edition DVD, very nice packaging and extras!) and I have played it on Windows perfectly...but as I always do with ID Software games (this is not the case but it uses the same engine and has been ported by some people to run on Linux recently) I run them on Linux whenever I have the chance, the more games run on Linux the marrier and performance on my system always seems to be much smoother on Linux than it is on Vista or even XP.

What I wanted to know though is if I can update the game? I'm definitely interested to update to at least to 1.2 but I haven't heard anything other than 1.4 server patches to play online, I know games that had official Linux releases (such as most ID games like Doom 3 and Quake IV, which I own both) always have Linux versions of patches but this game wasn't "officially" ported so I was wondering if there's anyway to install the Windows patches or if someone out there made a say...1.2 or 1.3 or 1.4 Linux patch?
    What? you think the world goverments, media, history and science books tell you everything there is to know about this world and the Universe? THINK AGAIN! WAKE UP!

http://www.projectcamelot.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can I update Prey to say 1.2 (1.3 and 1.4 are not relevant)

http://icculus.org/prey/

I don't see anything about patches and a quick google search didn't reveal anything. Dunno, sorry...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Moonfrost View Post
    What I wanted to know though is if I can update the game? I'm definitely interested to update to at least to 1.2 but I haven't heard anything other than 1.4 server patches to play online, I know games that had official Linux releases (such as most ID games like Doom 3 and Quake IV, which I own both) always have Linux versions of patches but this game wasn't "officially" ported so I was wondering if there's anyway to install the Windows patches or if someone out there made a say...1.2 or 1.3 or 1.4 Linux patch?
    I currently have Prey installed on Slackware. From the main menu there is an option to check for updates. I just tried it, and it says the game is up to date.
    I'm not sure what version I have though. I can't seem to find it on the box or the discs. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago, so I would assume it is one of the newer versions. Where does it tell you what version you are running?
    Anyways, you could try installing it on linux, and then try updating the game from the main menu. I'm not sure how well that would work on a linux system though.
    Last edited by tommcd; March 14th, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

I would have thought the Linux port has its own versioning anyway since the port was released long after other updates right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    I would have thought the Linux port has its own versioning anyway since the port was released long after other updates right
    My thoughts exactly. Alot of the games that have been ported to Linux have their own version numbers they follow.

Beans

Although i am having sound issues with it making iy unplayable at the moment, i have mailed Ryan to see whats up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

since the prey linux port came out long after all the windows updates, its logical that the very first release of prey for linux included all of the fixes that all of the windows patches had, so i would just ignore it.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

hey i need help, i got the demo working and played it untill i finished it (i am running latest ubuntu) , i then paid for the game brand new off amazon (dvd version) and installed it using these instructions http://icculus.org/prey/ (same place i tried the demo) and it crashes as soon as i run the installed game and my resolution goes all out of whack way down to 640 x 480 and i have to log out and back in to change it about to give up on this game dont know what to do, cant even get in to the menu to play with the game video settings please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

This is an old thread, please start a new instead.

Thread closed.