Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS M1330 temperature issue

Beans

Re: Dell XPS M1330 temperature issue

My M1330 has the exact same issues as yours when running Ubuntu 8.10.

The CPU temp and GPU temp are completely the same as in windows except underneath the laptop beneath the wireless card and touchpad gets scorching hot. If I boot back into windows 7 the area goes back to an acceptable temperature again.

I have no idea what is causing this issue but it is definitely Ubuntu.

I took off all the bottom covers and the CPU + GPU heatpipe was lukewarm to the touch as expected but the wireless card was so hot I couldn't hold my finger on it.

Is there a driver I need to download to make it use some sort of power saving feature for the wireless card or to just cool it down?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You could enable power savings for the wireless card at all times if you want. Try running the following commands in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo sh -c "echo 5 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl????/0000\:??\:00.0/power_level"
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 7
    If that reduces the heat, you can take steps to make those settings permanent.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Hi,

I've searching for a solution of this problem. I think my laptop is heating too.

This is my output

eugenio@xps-laptop:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
    temperature: 46 C
    eugenio@xps-laptop:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Temp
    [sudo] password for eugenio:
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 115 094 000 Old_age Always - 41 (Lifetime Min/Max 22/48)

What are the right values ?. Is there a way to keep the temperature lower than 40 C ?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

those values seem fine. Nothing wrong with either of them. As long as your HDD stays below 50 you are fine. and your cpu well, i've had mine up to 70 with no problems.

Beans

Well,

now I got this,

temperature: 59 C
    temperature: 58 C
    temperature: 57 C
    temperature: 57 C
    eugenio@xps-laptop:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Temp
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 115 094 000 Old_age Always - 41 (Lifetime Min/Max 22/48)
    eugenio@xps-laptop:~$

Then, now there is a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

no, the THM/temperature reading is your cpu core. its fine up to 70 atleast. most are rated to 85.

the second one is your hdd, which 41 is a perfectly normal temp

EDIT: your fan probably doesn't even kick in till 60

Beans

>> EDIT: your fan probably doesn't even kick in till 60

Is possible to set on the fan at a lower temp, for example 45C ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

umm, ya that I do not know. normally its bios driven, also it will depend on load. I'm just doing a basic test of getting the hardest level ai to play chess against itself and my fan kicked in on low at 55 or so. and then its staying that way unless it gets really hot, so at about 70 it goes into fast mode.

I have the fan on low at 66 degrees right now on heavy load.

I have the 9 cell battery though so i ahve some xtra clearance for air flow.

I'll look into adjusting the fan, but i don't think we can, because its bios driven and i dont' think we can adjust how it works at all. The response of the fan to higher temperatures is the same regardless of OS, it was set by dell so it is safe. if u want it cooler u may be able to force the fan to go on...but i'm not sure how.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Dell XPS M1330 temperature issue

Hi!
    I have been experiencing the same overheating problem with the same model, also nvidia card. After trying and reading all advices given in that thread including Vor's Howto about power savings linked above without any success I decided to open my computer and take a look and... wow! I removed the bottom cover, the one with three screws and another one in the midle, and used a flashlight to see the air output from inside. It was completely full of dust masses which were suffocating my computer. I had to use tweezers and a lot of patience to take all that stuff out but, when I did, yes! everything was solved and my laptot is now cool and fresh as it was when I bought it. Also the fan is almost not working.
    By the way, it is just one year old but was enough to develope the tumor.
    Now I can compile, compute big stuff and force my machine without ubuntu deciding to stop because of overheat. Also my room is much fresh
    Hope it helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have this over heating problem with my dell xps m1530 with nvidia card and it's only 4 months old.

Also I can't check if its ok in windows as when I received the laptop the first thing I did was remove windows.

However I'm using Ubuntu 9.04. I would not say it is hot enough to burn but it is to hot to have your hand on for any length of time.

I have tryed some of the options above in this thread but most of them will not work.

Here is the out put from them:

pitbullthe1st@Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:~$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
    temperature: 38 C
    pitbullthe1st@Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:~$ vidia-settings -q all | grep Temp
    bash: vidia-settings: command not found
    pitbullthe1st@Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:~$ nvidia-settings -q all | grep Temp
    Attribute 'GPUCoreTemp' (Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:0.0): 60.
    'GPUCoreTemp' is an integer attribute.
    'GPUCoreTemp' is a read-only attribute.
    'GPUCoreTemp' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.
    pitbullthe1st@Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Temp
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 101 096 000 Old_age Always - 46
    pitbullthe1st@Dell-XPS-Ubuntu:~$ sudo sh -c "echo 5 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl????/0000\?\:00.0/power_level"
    sh: cannot create /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl????/0000?:00.0/power_level: Directory nonexistent

I also have another problem and I'm not sure if it's linked but sometimes it will restart the xserver for no reason that I know of and has on ocation just restarted the computer.
    Ubuntu rocks!!
    Working well on my Sony Vaio VPCEB1Z0E laptop

http://www.aabbex-computers.co.uk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast