Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2wire Network WEP Key Loop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

2wire Network WEP Key Loop

Dual-boot XP/Hardy Laptop new hard disk installed last night. In Hardy I can see my wireless network which I am trying to access via a 2wire USB adapter 802.11g. But when I try to connect by selecting network 2wire411 (out of several 2wire networks in my neighborhood) and key in my wep key 0360663701, it seeks for a few seconds and comes back and asks for my wep key again. I can connect via XP, Vista, and Intrepid (the computer I'm typing on now). So I'm confident the wep key is valid.

I have just now noticed that the wep box is asking for a passphrase, not a wep key. When I change the option to WEP 64/128 ASCII, the connect box greys out so I cannot click it.

FYI

jerry@laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for jerry:
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 10
    serial: 00:c0:9f:86:5c:8e
    size: 10MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: eth1
    serial: 00:1e:37:f6:cc:c4
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b/g
    jerry@laptop:~$
    Last edited by JerryI; March 13th, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo and new info

Beans

Re: 2wire Network WEP Key Loop

AS I said previously your first port of call is to check that your wireless card is actually capable of working with the current driver, quite regardless of any encryption (i.e. WEP)

log into your router's setup page, find the bit relating to wireless security and, temporarily, set it so you have no security being used.

Can you then connect to your wireless network.

This is simply a case of building up from the bottom, WEP can't function if the basic wireless isn't working, so we have to go one step at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have approximately zero useful experience with linux at this point, so please be patient. Someone has advised me to remove Network Manager and replace it with WICD. I might be able to accomplish that within another day or so, but I decided not to attempt it yet. Another person advised me to reset my 2wire router. Since I can access the network via three or four operating systems in my house, I have not tried that yet. One other thing puzzles me. Hardy indicates that two updates are availabe. How does the os know this if we cannot even access the network, much less the internet? When I try to install the 2 updates, I get the message 'Failed to fetch http://......... Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com.

Re your suggestion, log into your router's setup page, find the bit relating to wireless security and, temporarily, set it so you have no security being used, and having no idea how to unsecure my connection, I took a stab at system preferences encryption and keyrings and I see that encryption default key is 'None. Prompt for a key' Password keyrings shows 'login. Automatically unlocked when user logs in.

So it is pretty apparent that you are working with a total basket case. I have no idea how to proceed to follow your advice. Can you give me some command line prompts that I can paste back to you for analysis?

It appears to me that I have no driver installed for my 2wire usb adapter. Do I need to start by getting ndiswrapper and finding some kind of generic linux usb driver and loading it?
    Last edited by JerryI; March 14th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

No nothing to do with changing anything on your ubuntu pc, leave it alone for now.

You need to change the settings in your router, so that it is supplies a wireless networking signal without requiring any encryption (WEP). Nearly all routers work by having a very small web server built into them, and you change the configuration by logging onto that webserver. Commonly you achieve this by simply entering the IP address of your router into a web browser on a machine connected to the router.

For instance, if I enter 192.168.0.1 into my web browser now, I get a web page from where I can configure my router.

In your case, go to one of the pc's that is connected and try:

http://homeportal/setup

as that appears to be something to do with 2wire, if that doesn't work, then you'll have to fish out the manuals/installation information that came with your router and find out what you should be entering.

Once you are in that configuration page, you need to find the settings for wireless security and turn it off (not wep or wpa, OFF) then apply those setting and try connecting with the ubuntu pc.

Hope that helps.

P.S. as for the update, I'd guess you were connected to the internet at some point (maybe via an ethernet cable?) and it downloaded the list of packages that should be updated..so the OS now knows that those packages are out of date, but because you currrently have no net connection cannot fetch the new versions.
    Last edited by issih; March 14th, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks. Now maybe I can take a few very small steps for one senior citizen. BTW, I have managed to download ndiswrapper-1.54.tar.gz onto this computer into a directory somewhere called Downloads, I think. If I ever get to the point where I want to install that app, how do I find the download directory and drag the file to my usb flashdrive so I can move it to the target computer that doesn't have internet access?

Beans

On the assumption that you still have your ubuntu install cd lying around somewhere, we can grab any ndiswrapper packages off that if we need them, so don't worry about that.

No idea where that download folder will be anyway, it rather depends on the operating system and indeed how it is configured

Oh and just so you know, I'm in England, so I might disappear off to bed relatively soon, well in an hour or so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm back. I have opened my network to all my neighbors. I cannot make a connection on Hardy. I am typing to you on Intrepid. I have Ubuntu Hardy CD. I think we need to install a driver. Pls help. I suspect that we will find that the adapter does not have a viable linux driver. That was a problem that I ran into with Intrepid earlier and I never found a viable solution on the internet. The 2wire 802.11g I have (Model US-G-AT-02) is silver and is not pinchwaisted like the ones that are reported to work. I have ordered a Belkin adapter that is supposed to work, but it is enroute from Hong Kong. If all fails tonight, should I proceed to install ndiswrapper and re-arm my router? Are there any tests to perform first?
    Last edited by JerryI; March 14th, 2009 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

Well if you can't connect with an open network, then it is probably a driver module problem. To that end we need to work out what chipset your usb dongle uses, so for now can you post the output of running "lsusb" in a terminal window, and then turn wep back on on your router. I am signing off for today, I'll look back in on things when my morning rolls around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0ace:1215 ZyDAS WLA-54L Wifi

Beans

First of all, could you do me a favour and post the output
    Code:
    lsmod | grep zd
    That should help me work out what is going on, as there are apparently two different kernel modules for this card, an original vendor one, and a community rewrite, and we need to know which one we are dealing with.

I suspect we are playing with the rewrite zd1211rw driver, and after a bit of research, it looks like support for the chipset in your card was added into the driver that ships with the kernel from 2.6.22 onwards, but the usb id's were being updated right through that series.

There is also a possibility that it could be a firmware loading issue.

Can you, in addition to the command at the top, post the output of running:

Code:
    uname - r
    As I'm not sure what kernel hardy shipped with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast