Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iTalc at School :|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: iTalc at School :|

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    You know, i bet you could just bring an ubuntu cd or USB disk into school and boot from it, wouldn't that solve the problem?
    Or bring your own computer.

I'm sure that the school policy is that if you use the computers you are giving consent to being monitored. They have every right to monitor their own computers. Don't want to be monitored? Don't use the school computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We have NetSupport at school, but many pupils have learned how to stop it working; putting the computer in standby then resuming it (before or during lock) usually stops the lock screen feature working.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    Thats why i like ubuntu, stupid spyware...
    It's not Spyware, it's installed so that the school can monitor whoever they like which is perfectly reasonable. Everyone should have signed an AUP or some similar contract before using the school network, basically if you don't like it don't use the network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    We have NetSupport at school, but many pupils have learned how to stop it working; putting the computer in standby then resuming it (before or during lock) usually stops the lock screen feature working.
    Clever...

EDIT: Also, why couldn't they monitor computers from their local ip's, that way they can see everything regardless of the OS running on it.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Or bring your own computer.

I'm sure that the school policy is that if you use the computers you are giving consent to being monitored. They have every right to monitor their own computers. Don't want to be monitored? Don't use the school computers.
    There may be an acceptable use policy for using computers in class or on campus, as well as connecting to the network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rick71 View Post
    There may be an acceptable use policy for using computers in class or on campus, as well as connecting to the network.
    The bottom line is that the computers are owned by the school district. The school district has the right to restrict its students' use of the computers in any way they like.

I remember working at a public library where we had two sets of computers. We had about eight general purpose computers that people could use for browsing the internet, use a word processor and play games. We also had about four computers that were designated for using the library's online card catalog program only.

Well, for a while, the card catalog computers were not restricted. They were basically just like the general purpose computers, except they didn't have all of the associated games and office software installed. We kept catching people using the card catalog computers to just browse the internet. Eventually, we had to lock down the computers so that the only website they could view was the library's online card catalog. Any attempt to view a different webpage would prompt for a password.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12