Thread: best version for weaksauce 2008 macbook?

Beans

best version for weaksauce 2008 macbook?

Hi guys, I've got one of the first aluminium unibody macbooks -- not even a pro. It's got a 2 ghz core2duo and 2 gb of ram (can't run Lion at useful speed). I'm interested in Linux, and figured I'd put Ubuntu on here to see if it suits me. Not sure which version would suit the computer, though. Would the latest version be too fancy for it, much like Lion? I'm a lot more interested in speed than looks, frankly.

Beans

Re: best version for weaksauce 2008 macbook?

Either way there are looks and speed to choose from. I don`t know about your specs for sure, in theory regular Ubuntu should run all fine on those, but if not try xubuntu or lubuntu. Perhaps even Bodhi Linux. You just have to try, unless you find someone who has tried the different Ubuntu-related distros on your model there is ony the estimated guess. For Core2Duo (or any 64bit really), I think they used to recommend going for the 32bit version if there were problems with the 64bit, but it might be sorted out in the last versions. Both should work. Core2Duo is still not too bad.
    Last edited by 2blue; August 9th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on a MacBook 3,1 with a Core 2 Duo with 4GBs of RAM and I run Unity and GNOME Shell with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a white MacBook 4,1 (early 2008 with Intel graphics and 4 GB RAM, which is probably the model before yours. I can run any Ubuntu 12.04 distribution on it (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu) and it is speedier than Mac OSX.
    If I were you I would download some liveCD's, take a good look at them and install what you like best. Of course, Xubuntu and Lubuntu are lighter than Ubuntu and Kubuntu.