Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: net book compatible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: net book compatible?

YAY! lol. but wait... ubuntu..kubuntu.. and the difference is? sorry for all the uber noob questions! ha..
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF WINDOWS, MAC OS X, AND LINUX
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Eistein.

Beans
    Hidden!

the difference is different desktop environments. just go with standard ubuntu for the aspire one and consider installing the netbook remix packages, or go for a distribution designed for netbooks like easypeasy. its based off ubuntu i do believe.

i run a lightweight version of ubuntu called crunchbang on my acer aspire one and everything works perfectly and it boots very quickly. i have the 1gb / 160GB version so it's very similar to yours. if you do have problems with any part of the system rest assured that it'll work with some configuring.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    the difference is different desktop environments. just go with standard ubuntu for the aspire one and consider installing the netbook remix packages, or go for a distribution designed for netbooks like easypeasy. its based off ubuntu i do believe.

i run a lightweight version of ubuntu called crunchbang on my acer aspire one and everything works perfectly and it boots very quickly. i have the 1gb / 160GB version so it's very similar to yours. if you do have problems with any part of the system rest assured that it'll work with some configuring.
    wonderful! im just having a slight issue!!
    i used this to get ubuntu onto my aspire one
    http://wubi-installer.org/

i cant get any wifi access? what do i do? will this netbook remix package fix this? thanx for any help

and im on xp right now.. can i switch between ubuntu and xp without restarting all the time?
    Last edited by cirabisi2009; March 13th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Eistein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

best to look here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne#Install

It would have installed 8.10 on your system. You will need to download and install the wifi drivers which if you follow the guide it should help. I also had the same problem. You may have to do this for your internal mic and I suggest you do the LED blinking as well so you know if wifi activity.

You have to reboot unless you use WINE and run a virtual windows from UBUNTU. you can also run ubuntu from within windows using virtual box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cirabisi2009 View Post
    i have an acer aspire one netbook. 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive, intel atom, windows xp home. i want to down load it. but im not to sure on how all that works. i've read the documentation but.. its not really a guide for dummies and i want to dual boot xp and ubuntu. what am i to do? help is greatfully apreciated!
    I have an Aspire One running Intrepid. Runs pretty darn good. I have a tutorial to get everything up and running.

http://www.stchman.com/aspire_one_intrepid.html
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I have an Aspire One running Intrepid. Runs pretty darn good. I have a tutorial to get everything up and running.

http://www.stchman.com/aspire_one_intrepid.html
    i found your guide but when i type in

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

it comes up with a error saying batch could not be found or something along those lines.. and i did all you said. im kinda lost on it at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

you may have to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file to allow packages from the backports, I assume that they would specify that in the guide

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i typed in /etc/apt/sources.list in the terminal and it told me permission denied!

and not only did i type that in. i went ahead and plugged in my ether net cable to my netbook and i still cant even get a connection from that
    Last edited by cirabisi2009; March 14th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok so i uninstalled ubuntu and went back to wubi and am putting xubuntu on to see if anything different happens.. if this doesnt work i might try easy peasy or crunchbang. is there a installer like wubi for these?

why doesnt wubi installer for 8.04 work???? im starting to want to give up on ubuntu till stuff gets figured out because i cant
    Last edited by cirabisi2009; March 14th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi Cirabisi

Did you try the guide I sent you?

I'm a linux/ubuntu newbie and I found that guide quiet usefuly and everything works on my aspire one.

If you need help just let me know and drop me a PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast